Saturday, April 24, 2010

Anzac Day: Aussie Pavlova

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, April 24, 2010


Pavlova is native to Australasian, mainly Australians and New Zealanders. Named after a Russian ballerina, a properly done pavlova has a crisp crust when tapped with the back of a spoon around it. When sliced, you can hear the heavenly sound of crackling crust followed by a soft, pillowy feeling when you slice through the middle. It is baked at low temperature and allowed to cool in the oven until it is ready to be served. A little crack on the surface is normal and it will all soon be covered with cream so it is absolutely normal to get cracks. Usually served with generous amount of chantilly cream and loads of summer fruit, it is no surprise nor wonder why Pavlova remains Aussie's favourite till today. Those sold outside are generally too sweet for my liking. When I make it at home, I cut down the sugar a bit and add a pinch of salt to take away the sweetness as I personally don't favour fruits that are too tart to minus back the sweetness of the Pavlova.

MasterChef new season is back and in conjunction with Anzac Day today, I couldn't resist making Donna Hay's Pavlova to commemorate and respect Anzac Day. Some other typical Aussie food include lamington, meat pies, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, Tim Tam and so forth. I've kept this simple by decorating it with seasonal fruits. I've flavoured the chantilly cream with vanilla bean and a good splash of Vanilla Vodka as well. Chantilly cream is basically whipped cream with small amount of sugar in it. The low baking temperature puffs up the Pavlova while the long cooking time dries it out to give it a crispy shell. If you rush it and bake it at a temperature too high, sugar will separate and ooze out like sap. It won't work. Pavlova can be stored, plain by itself for up to 5 days in an airtight container.

Try it and you will be hooked. We absolutely love it. We ate it and have our mouth gawked open for more and more of these just like the baby below. We never seem to get enough, it's simply irresistable! I think if baby is old enough to eat, he will have a sweet tooth too! (Note: It's not my baby, read this)


Donna Hay has certainly create a name for herself. Her pavlova recipe can be obtained on her website or through MasterChef page.

Happy Anzac Day and have fun during the weekend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments on "Anzac Day: Aussie Pavlova"

Anncoo on April 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

WOW Quinn! This Pavlova looks so perfect and yummy, no wonder Beckham looks like he is begging for a bite ;D He is so adorable.

Honey Bee Sweets on April 25, 2010 at 1:09 AM said...

Gorgeous looking Pavlova! Even though I have not actually tasted a Pavlova before...but looking at yours really inspired me to make one. You also reminded me I too have a couple copies of Donna Hay books ...might just got this recipe in there. ;)

petite nyonya on April 25, 2010 at 1:20 AM said...

The first time I had pavlova was 3 yrs ago in Sydney, when my best friend bought me one for my birthday. I LURVE it! with more whipping cream and fruits and when it's really chilled, ahhh...the perfect dessert that is sure to lift up my mood. Looking at yr pavlova is making me crave for some now.

Kitchen Corner on April 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM said...

WOW!! Very pretty pavlova! Nicely done!

edith on April 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM said...

I love this!!

Cuisine Paradise on April 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM said...

WOw Quinn, your Pavlova love so apptising... esp with those red and juicy strawberry :)

Passionate About Baking on April 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
I've always seen Pavlova recipes, but have not actually get down to doing it, nor seen other (Asians) making it. You've made it so beautifully! And I love the passionfruit on it. I shall make it on my "to do" list, and similar to you, shall cut down the sugars! ;)
Happy Anzac Day!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on April 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM said...

this look super delicious, must try one day!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on April 27, 2010 at 10:35 PM said...

Quinn, thanks for the reminder! Remember we talked about pavlova on MSN? Yes, I've been meaning to try it but still hasn't gotten around to do so! ... Well, I only get to bake and cook on the weekends ... I promise I'm gonna find a time to make this for a special occasion. By your description, pavlova sounds like an addiction that I can't let go of. Really! Thank you on the tutorial about baking meringue, too!

Hey, it's nice of you to remind me of ANZAC Day! Hope yours did turn out great, based on what you've shared with us here!

Oh, btw, how was the Commencement? When I feel less tense, I shall hunt for you on MSN and have a super-great chat, K? Been insanely occupied lately ... *Sob*

Love ya!

Pei-Lin

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) on April 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM said...

Perfect pavlova! Tall and no crack at all. Look at the beautiful marshmallowy centre. I am full of envy!!!

Blessed Homemaker on April 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM said...

The first time I tried Pavlova was when I was visiting my hubby in Australia. It was nice but way too sweet for us and I never tried it again. Yours look simply appetitising! I'm so tempted to try this..

Christine@Christine's Recipes on April 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM said...

Beautiful pavlova! I also saw Donna Hay's Pavlova on MasterChef and said to myself I'd bake one very soon. But I haven't until now, haha....
Yours looks perfect, a great success, Quinn.

Mama Holli on May 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM said...

Wonderful!!! And that baby is adorable!

Food For Tots on May 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM said...

Never try it before but yours looks so gorgeous! Your detailed description of this dessert makes my mouth water now...

And the baby looks so adorable! ;)

Quinn on May 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM said...

HBS: You gotta be careful though with Donna Hay's recipe. I'm always attracted to her beautiful pictures but sometimes when I did exactly as instructed in the recipe, they look no where near perfect. Indeed, Donna Hay I am not.

Jane: I chose passionfruit and strawberries because they are tart and will help cut down the sweetness in the pavlova a fair bit. I didn't wanna cut down too much sugar from the pavlova because I'm afraid it might affect how it holds its shape. Pavlova is pretty finicky too, almost like macarons!

Pei-Lin: I like how you say it and I totally agree, pavlova sounds like an addiction that I can't let go of too! And I should be apologizing because I've been very busy as of lately to catch up with my dreamy blogger friend!

Ellie: Aaahhhh Ellie, I'm full of envy with your beautiful Pavlova too!

Blessed homemaker: Add a dash of salt to the pavlova before baking, mine is no where near the sweetness level of those sold in cafes outside! Try it!

Thanks everyone! I'm glad the write up did help some of you out, update me through emails if I didn't check back here!

edith on May 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM said...

Quinn, check this out. Have fun. http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2010/05/revising.html

Blessed Homemaker on June 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM said...

Thanks for the tip again, hope to make this one day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez