Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fried Custard Squares

Posted by Quinn at Tuesday, April 13, 2010


I'm off in Perth now as you are reading this. I think I deserve a good holiday and as a bonus, I'm going to Perth for a job interview too!!! It's gonna be tough and it's gonna be a two days assessment. I'm happy because everything is going my way now and I've had a couple of interviews before so I'm all ready and prepared. So, basically what you are seeing here, it's me trying to clear off backlogs.

This is adapted from Tessa Kiros. I really like her a lot. This is the sort of thing I ate when I was young but it wasn't called by such fancy name. It's got a lot of flour to bind it together so you're really eating yummilicious cooked flour custard. I like it with cinnamon sugar or just plain sugar. Give it a go, I'm sure kids will love these sorta thing but they only taste yummy when fried hot off the pan. I tried keeping them warm but they somehow will turn soggy. I still made one recipe and eat as it comes out of the pan. It's really utterly amazing....


Fried Custard Squares

(adapted from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros)

3 cups milk
1 long strip of lemon rind, pith removed
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use vanilla bean paste)
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup plain flour, sifted
5.5 tbsp butter
Extra plain flour to coat
Superfine vanilla sugar to serve

Put the milk in a saucepan and add the lemon rind and vanilla. Bring just to a boil. Meanwhile, whip 2 eggs in a bowl until they are creamy, then whisk in the sugar. Add the flour and whisk to a smooth cream. Just as the milk comes to a rolling boil, whisk a ladleful into the eggs. Add another ladleful or two, whisking continuously to prevent the eggs from scrambling.

Spoon it all back into the milk pan and put over the lowest heat, whisking all the time. It will thicken quickly so you may have to remove the pan from heat for a minute and whisk vigorously until it is smooth. Put back on the heat for a few minutes to cook the flour, whisking until it is completely smooth and very thick.

Lightly grease a 6.5 inch by 11 inch baking pan and spoon the custard into the pan, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Let it cool and set completely (I chill mine in the fridge and then the freezer. I like working with it when it's firm). Turn it out on a large plate and cut into 2 inch squares.

Break the last egg into a small flat plate and scatter some flour on another plate. Melt 2 to 3 tbsp butter in a nonstick pan over medium low heat. Working in batches, dip squares of custard in the egg and then the flour to coat it lightly. Dust off excess and shallow fry the squares in the butter until golden on both sides, turning them gently. Add blobs of butter along the way to prevent burning.

Lift the squares out onto paper towels to drain. Serve warm, sprinkled with some vanilla sugar.


Makes 15 (heck, I say way more than that!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments on "Fried Custard Squares"

Anncoo on April 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM said...

I like this recipe. Simple and nice to eat. I'm sure my boys will definitely love this. Thanks for sharing.

Anncoo on April 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM said...

Good luck to your job interview!

Shirley @ Kokken69 on April 14, 2010 at 2:38 AM said...

Good luck to your interview!...

MaryMoh on April 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM said...

I love custard but never had it fried. This looks very delicious. I would love to try some time.

noobcook on April 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM said...

Happy holidays and all the best for the job interview!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on April 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM said...

Good luck and hope to hear your good news soon!

Rosalind on April 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM said...

Hi! Good luck with your interview.

Amy @ cookbookmaniac on April 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM said...

Aww. I was looking at this recipe the other day. I think I'm gonna have to make it. Yours look so yummy.

Honey Bee Sweets on April 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM said...

Let me capture all the good luck charms and put it in a bag for you Quinn...~swish here, swish there~ Here! Loads of luck for you on your coming interview. :) But I am sure you will do just fine. ;)

Wow...fried custard. Have to tell you the truth...I have not tasted them before! Thanks for the recipe though...looks real interesting to yummy. ;)

Elin on April 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM said...

Quinn,
Wishing you the best with your job interview :)) and at the same time enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing the recipe:))

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on April 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM said...

Quinn, these sound like those from the Cantonese cuisine ... fried milk nuggets. (You can picture that!?) I bet it should taste equally good ... with the additional kick from custard!

Hey, dear! All the best in your job interviews! Does that mean you're gonna have to relocate again? Ya know, that's gonna take heck lotta work. How about Aaron?

Chef Dennis on April 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM said...

these look great!! wow, I would have never thought of doing this to custard...what a wonderful dessert
thanks so much for sharing!!
Cheers
Dennis

Gattina on April 17, 2010 at 8:47 PM said...

all the best Quinn!!!
I could finish these custards in a blink of eye!

Quinn on April 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM said...

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! I am very happy to share and I have more interview upcoming so I am not too upset. An unsuccessful first job interview definitely is good as it means the next one will be better!

HBS: I had the same thought like you, this sound so special I decided to do it for a small gathering thinking none of us have tried it before. Trust me, when you eat it, it'll bring back a very familiar childhood memory to you. It happens to me. I have certainly tasted this when I was young, just that it's not called fried custard squares.

Pei Lin: Yes, it tasted kind of like that but not exactly. I know what you're saying and referring to!!! Relocating is fun, I'm fine with it. I think we should do it when we're still young. I'll follow Aaron wherever he gets relocated to. And he is very happy with the job offer!

Thanks Gattina an Dennis!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez