Thursday, April 8, 2010

Vanilla Vodka Jellies with Chantilly Cream

Posted by Quinn at Thursday, April 08, 2010

Vanilla is a favourite spice, lending itself to elegant treats. From silken panna cotta to plain poached fruit, vanilla just adds a delicate touch to desserts Here, it is used to flavour a delightfully wobbly jellies. All parts vodka and all parts vanilla, this jelly will make you tipsy like an angel.

It's just after Easter and it's all been about the food for me. We had so many rounds of chocolatey desserts, so many chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs, parties after parties, potlucks after potlucks and many rounds of drinking games; it's all been about the food throughout the long weekend for me. I figured something not chocolatey would be good but I wanted something purely for adult and it's gotta be light too since we have this as an after heavy meal dessert. This is adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 48 in her special Christmas Edition. I like this a lot and I figured you might too if you like Vodka like me. Yes, I admit. I could be a heavy drinker sometimes, but not alcoholics addict.


Vanilla & Vodka Jellies
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1/4 cup vanilla castor sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp powdered gelatine
1/3 cup Absolut Vanilla Vodka
1/4 cup pure cranberry juice
12 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced

Place the gelatine powder in a small bowl with 1 tbsp cold water and let it sit to soak up the water. Place the vanilla (including the pod as well), sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring it to boil over high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes until slightly syrupy. Add the gelatine paste to the mixture and stir to dissolve. Cool completely and stir in the vodka and cranberry juice. Arrange the sliced berries in the base of 4 champagne glasses (1 cup capacity) and carefully pour over the jellies until just covering the berries.Rerigerate for 4 hours until set.

Chantilly Cream
1/2 cup double cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 tbsp icing sugar, passed through a tea strainer
1 tbsp Absolut Vanilla Vodka

Reserve the pod to make vanilla sugar. Place everything else into a chilled bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Dollop over jellies and serve.


Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments on "Vanilla Vodka Jellies with Chantilly Cream"

Anncoo on April 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM said...

This is really beautiful. Never made this before, I don't have volka at home. Can I add other spirits?

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on April 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM said...

This look really refreshing! Is this your place? I like the green..

Sara Tea on April 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM said...

Vanilla vodka? Yes pleasssse.

Carolyn Jung on April 9, 2010 at 1:31 AM said...

What a lovely creation! I've used sparkling wine in jellies before, but never vodka. Must give this a go, as I have a lot of vodka I can use up. ;)

petite nyonya on April 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM said...

Believe it or not, I started drinking vodka at 7. I love it! Vodka jelly sounds topsy turvy goooood!

Christine@Christine's Recipes on April 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM said...

I like Donna Hay 's recipes too. These jellies are very delightful and refreshing . Although I don't drink, I think I might like to add a few drops of vodka into the dessert to add a kick.

noobcook on April 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM said...

This looks really elegant! and love the touch of vodka ;)

Elin on April 12, 2010 at 6:05 PM said...

Quinn..we don't have vanilla vodka over here..can it be substituted with vodka lime?

Quinn on May 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM said...

Anncoo: Yes, you can add other spirit but probably not Baileys or such. Maybe Midori but you might not wanna use strawberries. I'm thinking of Midori liquor with honeydew balls in it, sounds like a great combination to me! You can use Moscato too and it's sweeter.

Sonia: Yes, this is my place and this is the balcony I have lunch in very weekend, it's no biggie but I like the scenery and it's definitely my comfort zone and most of my gorgeous pictures are done here too!

Jung: Try it, Moscato is yummy too!

Christine: Living here in Aussie, we drink a lo actually but nowadays, I prefer liquor in my desserts rather than drinking it. Liquor in desserts = Elegance
Mad heavy drinkers = BOGANS

Elin: Yes vodka lime sounds great too!!!! Try it and lemme know!

Cheers everyone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez