Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Butter Coconut Layer Bun

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, May 12, 2010


I made buns again yesterday. There is something just very soothing and magical about kneading dough. I don't need and don't want a breadmaker, I love kneading. It's indescribable but I just love the process. I love how I could feel the dough and know when it is done. I bought a copy of bread recipe book during my last trip back to Malaysia. It's one of those typical Asian recipe books that I'm sure Pei Lin will be put off! But I am so confident in making bread that I can sacrifice the detail recipe steps in return of the various ways of making buns, the different filling and the cheap quality of step-by-step photo. At least they are clear and tells me what to do, good enough for me. And really, these are what Aaron and I both really like. He doesn't like those ciabatta and foccacia. He just wants typical Asian breads all the time. I've made enough breads by hand to be able to do it blindly.


Back to this book, I like how they promote homemade breads and healthy eating at the same time since all the recipes uses no preservative and no bread improver. This is the first recipe I tried ever since having this book for a month or so. I like it, it's sinful and guilty so you probably wanna just make 4 and nothing more and the buns are large anyway, you can have enough to share around since I'm pretty weight cautious as of lately.

Butter Coconut Layer Bun (makes 4 buns)
(adapted from Baked & Steamed Bun by Daniel Choong)

For the buns:
4 portions of basic sweet bun dough, divided into 55g each

Butter-Coconut Filling
100g dessicated coconut
100g butter, cold and chopped
1 large egg
115g castor sugar (I just use 1/2 cup)
90g evaporated milk

Place all in a food processor and pulse until all combined. Roughly form into 4 parts and chill or freeze. When firm, work quickly in between palms and roll it into a ball and chill again until needed. It is a lot easier to wrap in the filling when it is frozen or very very cold.

Take a piece of the bread dough and flatten it out. Place a ball of filling at the centre and seal it up well. Rest it for 5 minutes. Flatten the dough again, taking care not to leak any filling out at this stage. When you have obtained a fairly thin round disc, fold it in half once. Fold the semicircle once more so that it looks like a large, fat love letter. With a sharp knife, cut it in half. Turn up the bun to expose the filling. Gather them together and roll them up with a pandan leave.

Note that you are supposed to roll them up fairly tight to get a nice shape. The one shown in the picture is after proving for 30minutes and I have obviously not rolled the pandan leaf tight enough. If you roll it tightly, you'll get a sort of beautiful fan shape, not quite like mine.


Repeat for the remaining dough and filling to get 4 pieces of bun. Place the bun on a greased tray and let it double in size in a warm spot. Upon baking, brush them with evaporated milk. Be gentle and treat them like new born babies, they look so all puffed up and gorgeous....

Sprinkle a generous amount of dessicated coconut on top of the bun. Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinke...

Bake them for 10-15 minutes or until a golden brown in a 190°C preheated hot oven.

Done! There's nothing really tough here and I'm really just sharing the recipe for the filling. I got a couple of emails after posting my Little Char Siew Buns requesting for a post just on basic sweet bun dough recipe and how to knead since some of them don't own a breadmaker too. Sorry but I don't know when I might have time for a post like that. I'll try though, no assurance.

For now, for those experts and amatuer bakers, try this butter coconut layer bun. It's yummy and beautiful!

This post have been submitted to Yeastspotting, a weekly bread showcase organized by Susan of Wild Yeast.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments on "Butter Coconut Layer Bun"

Anncoo on May 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM said...

WOW!This bun looks perfect! I love your step by step frame, very nice.

pigpigscorner on May 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM said...

I love bread but I hate kneading! Not to mention the waiting. Anyway your breat looks amazing esp the buttery filling...yum!

tracieMoo on May 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM said...

Oh Quinn, I feel exactly the same way. Kneading is part of the fun in baking breads. But I can never knead such a small amount of dough. Is it easier?
One reason why I rarely make bread is because they make quite a big portion and noone wants to be stuck 3 meals with bread :P

BTW, the coconut buns sounds really good! They always pair with pandan and kaya :)

Passionate About Baking on May 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
I thought this was from the same recipe that I made previous (http://passionbaker.blogspot.com/2009/10/butter-coconut-buns.html). Then I realised it's not. Yours has the pandan leaves wrapped which makes the buns look prettier! The recipe also is quite different too! Nice buns you have! :)

Honey Bee Sweets on May 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM said...

Looks buttery good buns! Great job! I do miss making bread...hopefully in a couple months. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Moni on May 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM said...

Complimenti per le tue ricette...!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on May 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM said...

This look so nice and beautiful, and Thanks for your effort of sharing the step by step on how to make this bun.

zurin on May 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM said...

you shd consider opening a bakery Quinn. you seem to have such a knack at coming up with creative ideas for buns! these are very beautiful.

I did try ur sweet bun recipe ..the chicken curry buns..(they did take quite a long kneading to reach the stretchy point as you said....but I enjoyed it)and they were so delicious. Unfortunately the fotos didnt turn out good so I cldnt post...but i will make them again n take better pics. :))))

petite nyonya on May 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM said...

our local recipe books on breads and other stuff are actually quite good. i have a couple of them on my shelf. anyway, the last time i tried making buns..they were rock hard. haven't made it again since. yours look wonderful and really like the ones in the bakery!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) on May 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM said...

Nice touch with the pandan leaves. This recipe is a keeper!

J.C. on May 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM said...

You make bread-making sound so simple. I don't have a breadmaker or a Kitchen Aid and those are the reasons I never attempt bread-making. Looking at those butter coconut bun, I feel that I am missing a lot! They look yummy!

MaryMoh on May 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM said...

These buns look fabulous! I remember eating these back home.....my favourite. Now I'm craving! Thanks for sharing. Hope to make someday.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on May 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM said...

Quinn!! Yes, those oversimplified recipes drive me up the wall!! Hahaha!! Oh, when I'm at MPH later, I shall keep an eye on the bread book by David Choong. Neither seen nor heard of it before.

I've seen such method shaping coconut buns. I think it was on SeaDragon's. Hmmm ... Speaking of which, I oughta get my hands on coconut buns since I make bread pretty much every week. Thanks for the reminder. Ya know how easily I can get distracted ... *Sigh*

And, oh yes! I don't have a bread machine and don't intend to purchase one. I'd rather invest in an ice-cream maker, in the near future. Kneading dough is a bonding process among me, the yeast and flour. Sometimes, I get soothed by kneading dough; sometimes, I vent my anger by slapping/throwing the dough against the counter! Hahaha!

Say, maybe I should also join YeastSpotting soon. Thanks for the words!

Quinn on May 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM said...

Thanks everyone!

Tracie: I make half the recipe of what it says and I think kneading is easier because gluten is fully developed faster. Also, a half a batch of sweet bun dough can last me and Aaron a good 2 to 3 breakfasts so yeah, we freeze the rest and I usually get to make one or two variations with the half recipe of sweet bun dough I make.

Zurin: Ahhhh....What am I compared to you? I hope you use the right curry powder for the chicken curry bun. The last time I use some curry powder from English supemarket, the tasted bland. I then use Baba's Meat Curry Powder and use shallots in place of onion and they were great!

Petite Nyonya: Rock hard???? What happen? You must have missed something or overbaked it.

J.C: Bread-making is easy and simple, I didn't make it look easy, seriously. And I don't have a KA and a bread maker too but I knead with my hand, I find the hottest day in the week to make bread so it'll rise completely. Don't let lack of tools deter you, improvise!!!

Yeap, for me, ice-cream maker is a good buy anytime compared to bread maker! I feel kneading bread therapeutic, and I can do it with no problem. But to have to use a fork and whisk the ice cream every 2 hours for 5 times just to make it creamy and not icy is a lot of work. So yeah, ice cream maker anytime for me!

I bake when I'm in good mood so for everytime I'm slapping the dough, I don't feel anger though, hehe!

Cheers everyone!

Jeannie on May 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM said...

That bun really looks neat and delicious! Looks like lots of work though.

Quinn on May 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM said...

Thanks Jeannie darling! Not a lot of work actually since I'm only making 4 and even if you make a lot, it's prety quick, provide you have all the pandan leaves, stripped and cut to proper length, flour, rolling pin, knife all nearby. It's easy really...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez