Friday, May 21, 2010

Julie Goodwin's Cream Horn with Mock Cream

Posted by Quinn at Friday, May 21, 2010


Party! Finger food....this is really good, looks impressive and absolutely easy to make. It's adapted from Our Family Table by Julie Goodwin, Australia's first Masterchef. This is Julie's mum's recipe and it is always a hit with their family.

The mock cream is very much like buttercream, albeit lighter. It is fluffy and firm because of the gelatine and cream of tartar. The cream horn is just basic puff pastry. I've used the best quality one I could find, an all butter puff pastry. It's so flaky and buttery and yummy. The only drawback probably is that you need plenty of cream horn moulds to wrap the pastry around. The recipe makes 32 but I yield 40 and only had 12 moulds. It took me a while to finish baking it in the oven. It doesn't bake long, just a 10-15 minutes and it's out but you gotta cool down the mould quick to be able to work with it again.
You pipe a strip of jam first into the horn and cover it with mock cream. I've used wild blueberry jam, homemade-custard and chocolate ganache so they look more colourful and I get variety. Julie suggest using those cheap strawberry jam that is smooth and has no large chunks of strawberries in it. I refuse to follow because I wanted top quality result. I pulse my jam in the food processor until smooth and place that in a piping bag. I make the mock cream and did the same too.


If you want something to impress, this one is good. Looks impressive but relatively easy to make. You can anytime use chantilly cream to fill instead of mock cream if you run out of time. I like serving mine cold. Only fill when about to serve.


Cream horns
(adapted from Julie Goodwin's Our Family Table, pg 110-112)

Makes 32
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins per batch


Ingredients

4 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg
2/3 cup strawberry jam or any other jam, custard or ganache
1 quantity mock cream (recipe below)
Icing sugar, to dust

  • Preheat the oven to200°C (180°C if using fan-forced oven). Line baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Remove the pastry sheets from the freezer for 5 minutes to thaw before beginning, but don't allow them to become too soft, as they will be difficult to handle. If too soft, sprinkle a little flour on both sides and rub in to prevent sticking to work surface. Cut each pastry sheet into eight strips with a pizza roller.
  • The following is very descriptive on how to wrap the pastry around the mould. I'd say just go by instinct making sure you cover up the tip with pastry else your filling may leak out when filled later: Take a cream horn mould (you don't need to grease the moulds!), holding the open end in your left hand if you are right-handed, or vice versa. Pick up a strip of pastry with your right hand and press it gently onto the pointed end of the horn tin, with the pastry strip hanging down on the side closest to you. Carefully turn the tin away from you as you guide the pastry around it, overlapping the pastry about 5 - 7 millimeter, until you come to the end of the strip. Don't take the pastry too close to the open end of the horn mould, as it will puff over the edge while cooking, making it difficult to remove.
  • Place the pastry-covered moulds on the baking trays, leaving plenty of space between them. Make sure the end of the pastry is underneath (if not, it will look like the ganache-filled cream horn you see in the pictures!), so the horn will hold its shape. Lightly beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush it over the pasty to glaze. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until rich golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then carefully slide the cases off the moulds by a gentle twisting motion. Cool the horns on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining pastry.
  • Fill a piping bag with jam and snip off a small hole. Pipe the jam into the bottom of each horn and a stripe up the inside. Next, use a new piping bag filled with mock cream (see below for recipe) and snip a larger hole. Fill the horns with the mock cream. Arrange the horns on a serving platter and lightly sift icing sugar over them to decorate.

Mock cream

Makes approximately 1 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes
No cooking time

Ingredients

250g unsalted butter, cubed
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence (I use vanilla bean paste)
2 tsp gelatine powder, sprinkled over 1/2 cup of cold water and let swell until paste-like
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method

  • Combine the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Beat on slow speed until combined, then increase speed to high and beat until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and continue to beat on high until the sugar has dissolved.You can test by rubbing some mixture between your fingers to feel if the sugar has completely dissolved. The mixture shouldn't look grainy.
  • When the gelatine has softened, stand the gelatine bowl in a pan of hot water and whisk with a fork until the gelatine is thoroughly dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Add one teaspoon of this mixture to the butter mixture at a time, beating constantly. Sprinkle the cream of tartar evenly into the butter mixture and continue to beat until it is creamy, light in colour and smooth in consistency.

I hope you're loving the simple idea! Sometimes, things at its simplest, purest form is the best. It's Aaron's birthday soon and I'm planning to make him a big cake! He gotten his contract and he just need to know a commencement date and rest assured, we'll be moving to Perth for good! I'm pretty excited and happy for him, albeit a little anxious since I still haven't secure a job myself.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Julie Goodwin's Cream Horn with Mock Cream"

zurin on May 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM said...

O Quinn! u and I eat alike...I used to LOVE this as a schoolgirl (bought it frm the school canteen) and I was so wanting to post this but I wanted to make my own puff pastry.so as life goes ..i never did make my own puff pastry so I never posted this..heh...glad u did though. it brings back school day memories for me :))

Jess @ Bakericious on May 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM said...

wow yummy, if freeze the cream will like ice-cream?

pigpigscorner on May 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM said...

Great use of puff pastry! I normally just use it for chicken pot pie.

Honey Bee Sweets on May 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM said...

Looks so sinfully good! Can imagine biting into that crunchy, flaky skin and also that creamy sweet filling...heavenly! :P

Kitchen Corner on May 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM said...

This cream recipe must be a good one. I guess with some gelatin, it's stay nicely at room temperature. I should try this cream recipe for my cakes. Thanks for sharing!

wendyywy @ Table for 2 or more..... on May 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM said...

Mock cream, interesting.
I never thought of making cream horns, just like you said, it needs a lot of horns to do it.

:)

Jo on May 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM said...

Quinn, would you believe I was thinking about making this a couple of weeks ago. Looks like you beat me to it! This looks fab and making me drool already.

Christine@Christine's Recipes on May 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM said...

Oh, you've got Julie's cookbook. Your cream horns look fabulous.

Swee San on May 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM said...

You guys are moving to Perth!! Oh does that mean, we're a little bit nearer ?? :D

edith on May 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM said...

Wow this looks good. Reminded me of my favourite snack in Sun Moulin. Their cream is chocolate and it is delicious.

Maybe Swee San will know how to make those.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on May 28, 2010 at 3:14 AM said...

Quinn, puff pastry is already rich enough ... And now you gimme that mock cream ... Ouch! My waist! I know simplicity sometimes rules, right?

Hey, keep us posted on your and Aaron's situation! In fact, living in Perth does make you two closer to us physically and geographically. Hahaha! Congrats to him! I'm sure yours is coming real soon ... sooner than you'd think.

MaryMoh on May 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM said...

Very impressive and looks very delicious. I have a few cream horn moulds and have never used them I should try this. Thanks for sharing.

Marc on May 30, 2010 at 4:46 AM said...

It is yummy recipe. And I will try this in this evening as the recipes are given for that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez