Monday, May 17, 2010

Soy Milk

Posted by Quinn at Monday, May 17, 2010

Soy milk is a great alternative for vegan. One of my housemate is a vegan and once she tried my soy milk, she never bought one of those diluted soy milk from Chinatown nor supermarket anymore. Really, all they give you is sugar and water. My mum bought a soybean grinder long time ago and it was not only expensive but hard to wash with many parts to assemble and disassemble. I really pity my housekeeper back then, she does all the laundry and washings in my house and mum make soybean milk like twice a week.


Anyway, when she bought that machine, the seller, a friendly, middle-aged woman came to our house, gave my mum a demo on how to use the machine to make soybean milk and to make soybean curd (aka Tau Foo Fah) with it. Apparently, you can also extract carrot juice with it. She saved the carrot juice for drinking and used the finely shredded leftover carrots for making carrot cake, pretty impresive I would say.

So this is the proportion she has used. The downside is that the machine won't work if you put in too little water, which means you can't make a thicker soy milk if you wish. I don't have that kinda luxury. All I have is a muslin cheesecloth that Ellena sent me long time ago and a blender that Aaron's dad brought over for us from Malaysia. They have too much blenders at home from lucky draws, lucky people.

Here is the recipe that the nice woman gave mum. I tweaked it a bit since I like it more concentrated but I like the steps she use because it really produce a very very smooth soy milk.


Soy Milk
(makes approximately 4 cups of soy milk)

150g whole organic soy bean
4 cups of water

Measure out the soybean and rinse it well under cold tap water. Soak it in plenty of cold tap water overnight. The following day, use your hands and rub the soybean very well to remove the husk or rather a think membrane shell that is wrapping each and every soy bean. Rub it well and place it under running tap water, the husk will float to the top. Discard them and repeat until you get no more husk from rubbing the soybeans. Apparently the husk will give it a slight bitter after taste, not obvious but when she made two batches of husked and unhusked, it was obvious.

Place all the soybean in a blender or a food processor. Add in 4 cups of clean water and blend them until you get a fine slurry or rather, paste. Using a large muslin cloth or coffee filter, strain the slurry and extract as much soy milk as possible. The leftover solids from the extraction is called Okara. You can choose to discard them or put them to good use. I've tried making bread with them but no, they didn't taste good to me. They look like almond meal to me so I use them to make a dense flourless chocolate cake, substituted almond meal with Okara. Not a bad move, the Lindt's chocolate gives good flavour but I still would have preferred having almond fragrance in my torte. Okara is very bland in my opinion.

Sieve (into a spouted jug or bowl) all the extracted soy milk using a clean muslin once more. Remove as much foam as possible with a metal spoon. Strain once more into a milk pot large enough to hold all the milk. Heat it over medium low heat and stir often. It will boil over the very minute you're not looking. You can microwave it first but I just don't quite lie the idea of nuking everything sometimes. It's just me, I felt the protein and nutrients in the soy milk would be affected if you nuke it. Make sure you have a pot larger than the quantity of milk in there so it doesn't boil over and spill. When it reaches the first boil, turn off the heat and remove as much foam as possible from the surface. Turn the heat back on and when it boil, skim the surface again like previous. Do it one more time and you're done. If you don't boil it three times, some bad enzymes in there will cause the soy milk to turn rancid faster. The whole process should take longer than 10minutes because 10 minutes is when the flavour of the soy milk is fully developed and the raw smell/taste is completely gone.

Make Longan Tofu/Jelly/Pudding or Soybean Curd with it. For vegan, drink it in place of milk, sweetened with sugar syrup and use it in place of whole milk when baking.

I just made soybean curd with this batch of soy milk. It's still coagulating but it looks like it's working this time after my previous failed attempt. It wasn't a failed attempt but I didn't quite get it yet. I hope this time, I'm there!

I told Aaron he can't drink soy milk as much as me because study has shown that men who consume soy milk on a daily basis has a higher chances of having low concentration of sperm in later life. He didn't believe me! Isn't it pathetic to have only one picture in the whole post. I make 4 cups of soy milk, coagulated 2 cups and sweetend the remaining 2 cups and simply took a shot. Then I realise it was kinda dark. I went off to get a reflector and when I'm back, the soy milk, they're gone! I hate Aaron sometimes because he knows photo means a lot to me and how it speaks a thousand words.

Anyway, I promise more shots for my Tau Foo Fah!

Wish me luck!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments on "Soy Milk"

Shirley @ Kokken69 on May 18, 2010 at 12:20 AM said...

When I was living in China, I could see all these Soybean grinder in the department store. They are really common and cheap there. But here in Singapore,it is rather uncommon. You should take a picture of the machine to show us....:)

Cuisine Paradise on May 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM said...

Wow... Quinn, your homemade soy milk look good... I missed homemade soy milk... I remember i used to make them when I was in Oz but nw in singapore i have not make any yet cos it's so easy to grab a cup over here at anytime...that makes me a lazy mummy... :p

Christine@Christine's Recipes on May 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
Missed your message, sorry. I don't have any internet access except the hotel we stay provides us. Thanks for your offer.
We would arrive at Adelaide tomorrow. Today, we're going to visit the 12 apostles.

zurin on May 18, 2010 at 11:52 AM said...

you amaze me Quinn..honestly...making your own soya milk and curd....most people ur age wont bother...and Aaron is so funny! LOL

the soy milk sounds delicious and now I know why some soy milk taste raw...I LOVE soy milk..mayb I shd try this one day.

Christine on May 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM said...

looks so refreshing! Every week I'll make some for my family also, but I don't have a soya milk grinder, I used blender instead.

I didn't know the bitter taste that I use to tolerate was from the husk. Thanks for sharing !

petite nyonya on May 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM said...

Nothing beats natural homemade soy bean! Interesting abt the correlation between consuming too much & sperm count!! Hahaha...I shall warn my hubby then. But I read that people with cancerous tumour shld avoid drinking too much soy milk as it has certain properties that tend to encourage hormone growth that will in turn encourage the tumours. Otherwise, it's all healthy and fine.

Honey Bee Sweets on May 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM said...

I just had "tau fu fah" and fried you tiao for breakfast today. It will be sooo great if you can make it fresh at home! Good luck and looking forward to seeing your post! ;)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on May 18, 2010 at 6:48 PM said...

I can get fresh homemade soy milk from nearby pasar from auntie, so I seldom get my hands to prepare this at home.It is good for your to prepare this at home, more healthy and good.

Kitchen Corner on May 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM said...

This is absolutely good one especially for women. Nothing can beat the homemade one :)

pigpigscorner on May 19, 2010 at 4:11 AM said...

My mum used to cook this a lot but I think it's not good for girls? so she stopped.

Bakericious on May 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM said...

My family loves soya milk, probably I shd consider to buy the machine :).

Quinn on May 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM said...

Shirley: I didn't use the machine and can't take a picture because it's back in Malaysia with a woman who has such luxury, my mum!

Christine: 12 Apostles is beautiful but wait, count...one, two, three..... Aiks, I think not all 12 remain now!

Zurin: How amazing is that???? When you crave and you get shity stuffs, you'll have to learn to make. I'm just blessed with loving and patient people who teaches me and Aaron, who tolerates me buying every single ingredient for one specific use! Name a spice that I don't have in my pantry!

Petite Nyonya: I have a belief that everyone, in this world, would sooner or later, die from being diagnosed with cancer. Canned food, cancer. Sun tanning, skin cancer. Smoking, lung cancer. Alcohols and Oyster sauce, cancer causing. I give up long time already. I try to do more homemade and less storeboughts (i.e. flavour enhancer 621, 6217 etc.)

Grace and Ann: So, is it good or bad for woman??? I don't do this often so I'm safe I guess and Aaron can be rest assured his sperm count will not decrease drastically!

Bakericious: Don't buy the machine. It's bulky and unless you wanna make it often and make a lot, it's not worth buying at all. Think of all the washings you need to do...it's pretty scary!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM said...

Quinn, my memory flashed back! I, too, like you, made my own soymilk!!! You can find the pictures on my Flickr photostream. It was back in that part of the U.S. where soymilk costs me a bomb. Hahaha! Oh, boy! Those days ... Definitely, home-made soymilk rocks! I LOVE, LOVE my soymilk thicker ... really thick ... that soy taste is just unbeatable! Oh, btw, ya know the type of soybeans used affect the taste of your soymilk?

Quinn on May 19, 2010 at 11:28 PM said...

Pei-Lin, damn.....aren't they just yummy. I absolutely agree when you say "that soy taste is just unbeatable!" I use organic soy bean. I saw soy granules as well but they are way more expensive and doesn't require soaking and is very dirty looking in my opinion. Doesn't give me smooth white soy milk. Don't like it, yucks!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez