Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spinach, Pecorino and Tomato Quiche

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, May 02, 2010


As of now, parents are all back in Malaysia. I am so tied down with interviews. I have a few final ones but I'd keep it to myself until I get the job. I cannot take another disappointment really. After this post, I don't know if I will be posting much until I settled down. I receive all the comments, some asking for easy to cook recipes, some hoping I will be fine. I'm not all over the rejection yet but I will. Right now, I just wanna focus on what's in front of me and food. Didn't get to cook much when parents were down. So this was done sometime back, in fact a day right after Elin posted hers up.

I was inspired by Elin who makes real good pies and quiche. Her spinach quiche got me hooked ever since I tried making them once. I make quiche for lunch and finish half the quiche myself, averagely once every fortnight. At that kind of rate of quiche consumption, if I use Elin's Famous Cheese Crust, I'd be dead by now. Dead from overindulging. Seriously, I can understand why Elin always rave about the cheese crust pastry. How can something not be nice when it has so much cheese in it and spells C-A-L-O-RI-E-S????

This is my low fat version. A pastry case I make often and eat with no guilt. I use water to bind it rather than cheese or fat (lard/butter/shortening etc). It has a lower fat content compared to any other pastry you can find out there. And the wholemeal flour gives it a healthy texture too. I have also added cherry tomatoes (sometimes I use grape tomatoes too!) upon baking. It's not exactly very healthy since it call for an amount of cheese in there and I use Pecorino, how's that low fat??? But because I love Pecorino so much, I'm willing to pull down the fat content in the pastry. You can use Mozzarella but lemme tell you, it's got high fat content too unless you buy fresh cheese. Generally, fresh cheeses have lower fat content.

I once tried to clear up my fridge and practically anything edible goes into the quiche. I love how after baking, the cherry tomatoes releases its natural juices. Remove the stringy bits from the skin and pop the whole thing in your mouth. Very little pulp and a whole goodness of tomato juice bursting into flavour in your mouth. That's what I call orgasm! Ever since then, I always pop cherry tomatoes in my quiche. As for cheese, I sometimes use feta when I'm in crave of Spanakopita. Most other times, I use Pecorino, just because I like how it taste. You can use Mozarella or a mixture of it with Parmesan, anything you like. Just go according to your feeling and your fridge's leftover. Bake it till it's set and you have a warm and hearty meal.

Low fat pastry


1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
2.5 tbsp shortening/butter
2 tbsp water or more to bind

Place all ingredients above except water in a food processor and pulse until resemble breadcrumbs. Pour out into a large mixing bowl. Dribble in water and toss well. Pour into a 7-8 inch tart tin and press to even out really well. The pastry makes just enough for a very very thin layer to line the tart so be patient and press it real thin. Spray the lined tart tin with olive oil spray and place a sheet of foil over it. Weight it down with rice or commercial pie weights and bake for 10minutes in a preheated oven 200°C. Remove the weight and foil and further bake another 5 minutes or more to dry and brown the base further.

Quiche Filling

2 eggs
2 tbsp cream (I used lite cream, low percentage of fat)
A pack of triple washed baby spinach (100g)
90g Pecorino Cheese, finely chopped and crumbled
Enough cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes (optional)

Wilt the baby spinach in hot water. It doesn't take long, just approximately 4 minutes and drain it in a colander. Squeeze out the excess water and chop it into smaller pieces with a sharp knife. Beat the eggs and cream together and add in the chopped spinach and crumbled Pecorino. Mix well and pour into prepared tin. Place cherry tomatoes all over the surface of the quiche.

Bake it for 30 minutes, 200°C. Remove it from the oven and place it under the griller for 5 minutes if the tomatoes aren't roasted well enough.


Yummy, I love quiche.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments on "Spinach, Pecorino and Tomato Quiche"

pigpigscorner on May 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM said...

Looks so pretty with the little cherry tomatoes! Good luck and never give up!

zurin on May 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM said...

A beauty Quinn!. (No pun intended)I know you will succeed. First time job huntimg is always painful but im sure that quiche made your day!

XOXO
zurin

ICook4Fun on May 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM said...

Hi Quinn, hope you feel better. Diana is going through this now too. Going for interviews but not geting a job but she is lucky that she get to work part-time now. Hopefully both of you will be able to get a full time job soon. Anyway, I like your healthy version of Quiche. Like you I will normally make this when I have a little leftovers here and there :)

Passionate About Baking on May 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
I hope you're feeling better. I love your wholemeal crust, it's so healthy. Your quiche looks so simple and delicious! I love the way you placed the tomatoes. Ooh...makes me yearn for it!

Anncoo on May 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM said...

This quiche looks so pretty with the cherry tomatoes.
Good Luck Quinn ;D

Honey Bee Sweets on May 3, 2010 at 1:43 AM said...

This quiche is almost too lovely to eat! Love the cherry tomatoes in it. ;) It's been ages since I last made quiche...thanks for bringing it back to me. ;)

Kitchen Corner on May 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM said...

WOW!! Your quiche looks absolutely good one! Look good and definitely taste good! I've many years didn't make quiche already. I miss it very much :) I like your tart base with the wholemeal version. I must use this wholemeal tart base recipe for my next tart baking. Thanks for sharing!

noobcook on May 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM said...

This is really beautiful. Love the lower fat content :)

edith on May 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM said...

Quinn, I love the way you present the tomatoes. So lovely.

You won't believe it that I have never seriously eaten a quiche. The only time i tried was when I was in Perth, that was serve as a pre dinner snack (bite sized) as our dinner was delayed.

Yours definitely look hard to resist.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE on May 4, 2010 at 3:30 AM said...

Gorgeous! I love how you left the tomatoes whole. What a great idea!

Christine@Christine's Recipes on May 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM said...

Foods can boost up our energy and lift up our hearts. Your quiche looks very beautiful. I love how you arranged those tomatoes there. Lovely.

petite nyonya on May 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM said...

What a gorgeous quiche!! Perfect for a party. Well, good luck with the interviews but don't fret. Something good is coming your way, I'm sure. Did grandma visit you too? Wld be so cute if she brought along her sireh stuff there.

Swee San on May 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM said...

great idea with the tomatoes.. Love baked tomatoes..And Quinn sorry I hven't sent the book yet. will do so after this weekend, promise !!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on May 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM said...

Quinn, I was blown away by first quiche photo of yours!! Now, you've made me feel so bad ... It's been eons since I last made quiche! Argh ...!

I will try your cherry tomato idea ... Sounds fun, eh?

Btw, don't give up and stay tough! I went through that myself, especially you've reminded me so much of my last few months of job hunting in the States. Since we all go through this kind of situation, I guess it's an inevitable part of life ... I will have mine once again real soon ...

Quinn on May 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM said...

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. Didn't know so many of you will be impressed with the cherry tomatoes placed artistically on top of the quiche. I'm serious about the juicy bursting sensation from the tomatoes so try it!

Gert: Thanks, that was encouraging, haha! No, I wish no human on earth would have to go through what Diana and I am going through now but yeah, that is part of life. Even if Aaron earns big bucks one day, I'll still wanna work so yeah, can't rush things!

Grace: yeah, the base tasted pretty healthy but you might wanna double the base because you need to roll it out really really thin if you use my proportion given here.

Petite Nyonya: No, grandma never leaves house. Her tepak sirih too stays with her all times so yeah. But if she did come for my graduation, she would brought that tepak along, seriously.

Swee San: No worries, I know you're busy. Take your time.

Pei Lin!!!!! Make one, what's with the wait mate? Did you say you'll have 'yours' soon??? What's up with the current job? We better talk about this on MSN!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez