Friday, May 7, 2010

Tuna Heart Bun for Mother's Day!

Posted by Quinn at Friday, May 07, 2010

I made this yesterday and they are still very soft now. It's yummy, very soft and savoury to my liking. Obviously, Mother's Day is tomorrow and I have shaped them all into neat, pretty little heart shape buns just for the occasions! Even though my mother is not here with me, she is always in my heart so she is with me virtually to enjoy these buns :)

I've adapted the topping recipe from Baked & Steamed Bun by Daniel Choong and I must say it's a pretty good book. It's got both steam and baked buns and breads recipe, they all contain no preservatives and no bread improver, sorta like promoting healthy eating. There are many ways to making and shaping buns and also different topping or filling to pair with.

As for the bun, I use typical sweet bun dough. It is the shaping method that I would like to share. I once saw this way of shaping from a website but unfortunately, the link is not working anymore. I like how easy it is and most importantly, the heart shape is very obvious even upon rising and baking. Aaron and I both love this a lot so do give it a try.


Tuna Heart Bun (makes 8)

For the buns:
8 portions of basic sweet bun dough, divided into 75g each

Roll them into longish shape and have both ends slightly tapered. Make a long slit 3/4 way through the dough vertically. Open them up like a 'V' shape and fold the 2 ends down towards the centre, just like shown in the step-by-step picture. Let them rise and double in size. Glaze them with egg wash and divide the filling among the buns.


For the filling or topping: Makes enough for 8 buns

150g tuna (I use one whole can of John West Tuna 185g)
1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
Good grind of black pepper
40g mayonnaise
1/2 dried parsley flakes

Mix everything till well combined and smear on top of bun or use as filling. Sprinkle with more dried parsley, a sprinkle of sugar and a dash of Parmesan Cheese on each buns.

This is dedicated to all mothers in the world. Here's wishing you all a very happy Mother's Day and stay young!!! I have a picture of my mum here and I think she looks gorgeous for a 48-years-old woman, what do you think?

And my dad....I love him. He is the coolest dad ever, kinda like my best buddy. He's 53 and goes island hopping all over Malaysia to scuba dive. Now how cool is that? I don't know any other dads that scuba dive, dad just show the world age is not a limit to things you wanna do in life. Go for it, that's what he always tells me. Dad's pretty outdoor, he goes jungle trekking thrice a week and plays badminton thrice a week too. He fishes sometimes, so yeah.... I'm closer to dad so I can't help talking about dad here despite Mother's Day. Mum's pretty boring, she goes shopping all day and night and socializing and meeting people, can be quite sickening sometimes and seriously, my parents almost died of boredom here in Adelaide last week.

Okay, abrupt ending. Gotta go prepare and cook up lots of stuffs. We're hosting a lunch tomorrow in our house. Pinky promise I'll get the pictures before our guests dig in!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments on "Tuna Heart Bun for Mother's Day!"

Su-yin on May 8, 2010 at 10:02 PM said...

That's really interesting, I will keep this in mind for the next time I make a celebration bread :)

Happy Homebaker on May 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM said...

These are so lovely! Thanks for sharing such an interesting way to shape a bread bun :) I like the tuna toppings, will certainly give this a try as my kids love tuna. I love the photo of your parents! What a loving couple and they are so lucky to have you :)

Cuisine Paradise on May 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM said...

Wow.. pal.. this is so lovely!!! Each individual bun has it's unique shape of hearts... I love these esp with my fav tuna.. how i wish rey can make some of this for me.. :p

*Guess still got many days to wait hor..... lolz

zurin on May 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM said...

Oh how lovely Quinn. I will make these soon. im on a bread painting binge right now..so this is not far off.

active Dad u have . MY brother who is 55 scuba dives to n goes mountain biking....they would love each other! LOOOOOL

happy mothres day to your Mom...she's not boring im sure...shes just doing what she loves :)))

pigpigscorner on May 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM said...

The buns are so cute! and your mum is really pretty.

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) on May 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM said...

Lovely heart buns! Great for mother's day. Sweet post~

MaryMoh on May 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM said...

Really pretty buns. Thanks for showing how to make them.

Shirley @ Kokken69 on May 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM said...

Nice buns and thanks for the step by step photos. Does your mum read your blog? Will she be a trifle upset when she sees that you have all the fun things to say about your dad and...describe her as 'boring', 'quite sickening'? Hahaha.... but I have known a few mums who are like that...:)

Quinn on May 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM said...

Thanks darlings!

Ellena: No need to wait for many days, kids sometimes grow in a blink of an eye!

Zu: Hell yeah, my dad would love to have friends that shares his passion! As for mum, damn, for every single time she suggest " Let's go shopping today!", it seriously kill us and we tell her "it's boring!!!" and it surprised us how she can be so ignorant of us and still go shopping on her own with a maid of course to lug her stuffs back! She's cute and really like what you said, is just doing what she loves.

Ann: Mum would be drop dead happy if she hears people say that, add in 'young' and she's madly in love with you!

Mary: You're welcome....

Shirley: I've mentioned before only strangers come to my blog and I mean it plus my mum's illiterate (those were the days when she's poor)so she doesn't know about Quinn's Baking Diary's existence so she can't read, she probably could recognize her picture though but yeah, she's computer illiterate. I love my mum for these facts! Gave me so much freedom of speech! I love her and I don't mean 'quite sickening' as in really sickening (check my reply to Zurin above) but seriously, if she managed to interpret this, she's cool about it too. Really.

Christine@Christine's Recipes on May 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM said...

These heart buns look lovely. Happy mother's day to all.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on May 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM said...

Quinn, that's a good idea of shaping buns! Gotta give this a shot the next time I make buns ... Thank you for sharing!

Hey, your parents sound so cool lah ... My dad is a dull lad ... more of a home guy. *Sigh* I'm worried about his health as he ages. My mom ... Well, despite the constant fight ... I still admire her strength to live on after her stroke! Man, she just bakes ... Compared to my mom, your mom looks way, way more chic ... VERY COOL I'd say.

Jo on May 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM said...

Quinn, these are so cute. I would not have thought of even making heart shaped buns. Lovely.

Honey Bee Sweets on May 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM said...

Ohh...I've seen this shaping of the bread dough before! You definitely did a great job...very nicely done. I bet your mum will love it. ;) Cool dad and soical mum..that's like you in a bundle!

noobcook on May 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM said...

I'm sure your mum "hearts" these buns. Love tuna fillings

Ju (The Little Teochew) on May 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM said...

It's very heartwarming to read about the good relationship you have with your parents. They must be as proud of you as you are of them. The buns are shaped in perfect hearts!

Quinn on May 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM said...

Thanks everyone!

Pei-Lin: My dad is a stroke patient and same goes to his mum and I only eat meat and no greens. Does that tells you something about bad family genes and about me getting stroke when I am older? I think stroke shouldn't deter anyone from anything. I was old enough to know facts when my dad was hit stroke. It was heart-breaking and he has a blood clot in the back of his head as well. Doctor said he will never fully recover and will definitely have lopsided face and look at him. No one believes me when I told them my dad is a stroke patient!

And my mum, yeah, I have to admit she is chic and cool, and only put on good stuffs to pamper herself. My parents are the only parents that I know that goes clubbing every week. Go Aloha in KL and say hi to them for me!

HBS: Haha, yeah, that's like me in a bundle seriously! Now, why didn't I thought of that! I am really my parent's daughter!

Thanks Ju! Yeah, my parents are like my best buddies, as I've mentioned and I mean it!

Houston DWI Attorney on May 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM said...

Looks wonderful. Thanks for the new idea.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on June 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM said...

Wow BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely store-worthy. Great job!

Quinn on June 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM said...

Thanks!

Can't feel more pleased since everyone that ate it says it looks like store-bought and in fact taste better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez