Friday, June 18, 2010

Cantonese Egg Tarts

Posted by Quinn at Friday, June 18, 2010


This is another reason we fight. We fight for the last piece of egg tart. It is that good!!!! The filling is oh-so-yummy and oh-so-silky, it's wobbly, it's smooth and it's custardy.... The crust was flaky and buttery. Absolutely love it! The moment I sank my teeth into the first one, I told myself this is the one. So good!!!!

It's Cantonese Egg Tarts and I think no one knows better than Christine. After all, I always have thought egg tarts originate from Hong Kong anyway, they're the pioneer to all sorts of egg tarts. Those flaky ones you have in Dim Sum restaurant and also these lovely babies. A lot easier to make and equally tasty.... I halved the recipe and made 6 tarts with this one and the diameter of my mould, measured from the wider end, rim to rim is 8.5cm. You can check out the step-by-step of how to make this in Christine's blog but I'm just gonna post up the recipe that I have changed to my own liking.

After bread kneading, this is the second most therapeutic thing to me, rolling them out. It's a breeze with this dough. The sweetness is just right for me. Feel free to add another tablespoon if you like it sweeter.


Cantonese Egg Tarts

(makes 6 tarts)

Filling:
1 whole egg
1 egg white
3 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) boiling hot water
3 tbsp (45ml) evaporated milk

Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water and cool it until just warm to touch. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk lightly, thoroughly combined but not foamy. Strain it twice into a spouted jug.

Pastry:
1 cup (110g) plain flour
60g butter, cubed
2 tbsp icing sugar
Small dash of vanilla extract
1 egg yolk

Pulse everything except the egg yolk in a food processor until crumbly and that the largest piece of butter is the size of a green pea. Add in the yolk and pulse a while until crumbly and combined a little. Pour them out into a large bowl and Mix with your finger tip to gather them. Dribble in a little of the filling mixture as you go and stop when everything is combined and you get a soft dough.

You can chill it at this stage but I find it unnecessary. Roll them out on a flour-dusted surface to just 5mm thick. I find a Margarita glass fits perfectly since I don't have a proper cookie ring/cutter. Press the circles into the fluted mould and set aside and repeat. For the last mould, I gather everything together and form a ball, lightly flatten it and press it into the tart mould as even as possible.

Pour the filling over and bake it in a preheated oven of 200°C. When you pop the tart in, turn the heat down to 180°C and bake until it is just slightly wobbling at the centre. Remove it from the oven and it will continue cooking. When you unmould it while it is warm, the filling sets just right.

Serve warm. Whoever that invented deserve my praise, they're the best but for now, Christine is my new Goddess of Egg Tarts. Thanks for the recipe, we all absolutely love it. I regretted I procrastinated so long to make them even though Ive bookmarked it ages back!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 comments on "Cantonese Egg Tarts"

Shirley @ Kokken69 on June 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM said...

Hey Quinn, I do believe that egg tarts should be flaky! The recipe below look rather straight forward. I had recently tried to make Hong Kong Dim Sum style egg tart- alot of work - have to make 2types of dough (oil and water) and fold and rolled over using some standard sequence - totally ghastly in our hot weather...

zurin on June 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM said...

Im making these! Im making these...! the ingredients are so little n simple..N I love egg custard tarts. Im making htese swear to god :)))) thanks Quinn dear xoxo

Quinn on June 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM said...

Shirley, I believe you are referring to this flaky egg tart.It's not tough at all to be honest, you just need time and yes, I understand, being in Singapore, weather is an issue. When I was in Malaysia, I do it on the marble table in my living room and my mother nearly killed me.

Jess @ Bakericious on June 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM said...

Quinn, although I am not fancy on egg tart but I do feel like having a bite on your egg tart cos looks so smooth and yummy!

Honey Bee Sweets on June 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM said...

Looking at your half eaten egg tart is making me salivate! I love egg tarts...especially freshly baked ones. ;) Will make some soon...thanks for sharing the recipe. ;)

pigpigscorner on June 19, 2010 at 4:12 AM said...

I used to love puff pastry egg tarts, but after my current trip to HK, I fell in love with the shortcrusted ones, they are so buttery! Bookmarked!

Su-yin on June 19, 2010 at 7:13 AM said...

Oooh I love egg tarts, and these look great. Simple recipe too! Bookmarked. :)

Christine@Christine's Recipes on June 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM said...

Quinn, Your egg tarts look so gorgeous. One of the reasons I'd like to make egg tarts at home is that I can adjust the amount of sugar to my own liking. The flavour of the eggs smell so good. Thanks for pointing to my recipe. I discovered your flaky ones were so wonderful too. Well, I have to wait until I have the energy to knead the flaky pastry and try your recipe later. ^0^

ajcabuang04 on June 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM said...

This looks really good!! Every time I go out for dim sum, I see these egg tarts but fail to get one. This will def. be on my "must get" list.

Would you mind checking out my blog? :D
http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Shirley @ Kokken69 on June 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM said...

Quinn,yes! That's the type I was talking about. I was rushing the pastry in and out of the fridge... so much work. I have to figure out a better way to do this. Maybe doing it in the evening in my air conditioned living room!

Kitchen Corner on June 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM said...

Hi Quinn,
The custard looks really smooth and silky! That's the texture I'm looking for but my previous egg tart not as good as this. I got to use this recipe for my next egg tart baking. Thanks for sharing! Your tart make me feel hungry :P

Jo on June 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM said...

Quinn, I am so glad you posted this recipe. I've been searching for a good one recently and will KIV yours. Thanks so much.

Anncoo on June 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM said...

hehee...I also thought of making egg tarts too. Your egg tart looks sooo smooth ;)

millysminikitchen on June 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM said...

These look really really good! Definately bookmarking. On a side note, which is related, I live with my boyfriend and I totally get when you've been writing about. Its tough, but it all makes you a better person and is always a part of a good relationship. I'm very opinionated and never keep things bottled up, which is totally a good thing. I have friends who never get into arguements with their partners and its doesn't end well! Anyway, will definitely try these!

Beachlover on June 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM said...

your egg tart look really neat and pretty!!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on June 20, 2010 at 1:21 PM said...

this remind me I have so long did not make egg tart, I had a bad experience with my last egg tart, me and my son stomach pain at night after consumed the egg tart which I just did in the afternoon, this give me a lesson to consume egg tart immediately but not to store longer..

Jane Ko on June 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM said...

I love egg tarts! Always had them at dim sum but I've never tried making them before.

noobcook on June 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM said...

now you made me really "hand itchy" to try and make some egg tarts :P

Quinn on June 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM said...

Thanks all!!!!

The egg tarts, they were really terrific. I wasn't kidding when I say we fight for the last piece. In the end, we have to 'One-Two-Jus!' to decide who eat it!!!

Milly: I've been with this dude for 5 years and live with him for at least 4 years and there's goood and bad times. Sometimes, it's not just the matter of bottling up or not you see, it's our different attitude that brings us together and cause all the commotions.

Shirley: I forgot to mention, yes, an air-conditioned living room definitely helps! If it's glass, marble or stainless steel table, even better!

Guys, don't just bookmark!!!! The list is getting longer, make some!!!! It only makes half a dozen anyway, come on...the jeans will still fit in!

Sweet P on June 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM said...

omg these look soooo awesome! makes me miss HK even more :( Love your blog! stumbled upon it from Happy Home Baking. Gonna start following :)

Quinn on June 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM said...

Sweet P: Awwww....so sweet of you....damn!!!! You found me late but no, it's never too late. Have fun browsing. We're similar...I bake a lot of what you've baked too!

Christine said...

mmm I tried these last night and they came out yummy. Except my crust was cookie-like instead of the flaky kind. I baked mine in a cupcake tray and I might have overbaked the crust as I was waiting for the custard to firm up. Do you think that could be it?

Quinn on June 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

Mine was shortbread like the first day and soft the second day.

These are not meant to be very flaky and crispy unlike those pastry that requires two types of dough blended into one(check my 4th comment to Shirley and the link).

You could have overbaked it. I used a fluted mould like that because that's what they use for egg tarts and the proportion of the pastry and the amount of custard it holds is in my opinion the perfect quantity. If you use a cupcake tray, you might have used a little more custard thus your pastry is overcooking before your custard?

Just my theory, make sense? Did you leave one in the air tight container and eat it the next day? Was it still cookie like?

Christine said...

Yeah, my tarts were pretty much the same the next day. And oh yes, your other link for egg tarts looks like the kind I was going for. I'll definitely try this again when I get some molds. Thanks!

woofbug on July 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM said...

Hey! I thought I should let you know that I tried out this recipe for my family's get together this weekend. We didn't have any of the molds that you had used so we made do with a muffin tin. It worked just as well! Sadly, we didn't roll out our crust thin enough so it was a little more crusty than I had anticipated.

Our custard was also a little on the pale side, as a lot of my relatives had commented on, but the taste was absolutely divine. I suggest possibly adding a little food coloring into your next batch if you ever want it to have that so well known yellow color that you see at dimsum places.

Much thanks for this great recipe once again, my family loved it and all of our tarts were gone within a few minutes. I didn't even get one for myself!

Quinn on July 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

woofbug: I'd try not use artificial colouring where possible. If you really want that yellow signature hue, why not try add an extra yolk or add 1 tsp of custard powder to the filling mixture? Glad you like it!

Cheers!

Kitchen Corner on September 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
I'm craving for this egg tart and deciding to make it tomorrow. May I know how long you bake the egg tart? Thanks!

Quinn on September 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM said...

Grace, it's between 10 to 15 minutes baking time depending on your tart mould but if you want me to be exact, mine was perfect at 12 minutes. Good luck and please show me pictures if you will be snapping any! Would love to see how it turn out!

Jess said...

Hi Quinn, I have just made these - used a muffin pan instead as I have no mould and made 12 egg tarts - the taste was good but the custard tasted very much of raw eggs so I think I will add a dash of vanilla in the custard and try again. Thanks for the recipe!

Sandy on September 16, 2011 at 4:45 AM said...

Hi Quinn, I tried christine's recipe but was unable to get the eggy smell and taste like the ones in HK. The ones i had when i was younger wasn't terrible sweet but had a strong smell but it wasn't from the crust. Do you have any ideas? I was thinking about adding more eggs...

Quinn on September 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM said...

Jess: yYou can add a dash of vanilla to it and it will definitely take away the rawness/eggy taste, I have tried this. Funny that some thinks it is not eggy and strong enough and some thinks it is too much and needs it toned down! I'm glad you like the recipe.

Sandy: If you happen to find this terribly sweet, feel free to cut down the sugar. i have not tried adding more eggs after making this countless times so I really could not tell you how it would turn out. My guess is that if you do, do not add a lot more and you have to cut down the sugared water volume to get the wobbly consistency right.

If you do try it, let me know. Sorry could not be anymore helpful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez