Monday, June 21, 2010

Create your own cheesecake: Dulce de Leche Cheesecake

Posted by Quinn at Monday, June 21, 2010


Made Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes for housemates and landlord to share. Unlike other recipe, this recipe has very prominent flavour of Dulce de Leche. Instead of chocolate wafers, I use Oreo cookies because I like it better.

I piped more Dulce de Leche (thinned down with milk and whipped until smooth, combined and fluffy) on the plate and serve it like that. My dark chocolate topping was very bitter, it's 85% cocoa content so the whole thing wasn't really sweet, though I did cut down more sugar and replace it with Dulce de Leche.

The recipe, create your own flavour at Finecooking.com!!!! It's so much fun. I bake it into several 7'' round pan and the resulting slice of cheesecake is smaller and cuter.


Dulce de Leche Cheesecake

8 oz. chocolate wafers, finely crushed (2 cups of crumbs)
3 Tbs. granulated sugar
7 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
3 8-oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup dulce de leche
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
Table salt
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 oz. chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
5 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
Whipped cream, for garnish


Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.

In a medium bowl, stir together the chocolate wafer crumbs and 3 Tbs. granulated sugar. Mix in the melted butter until the crumbs are evenly moist and clump together slightly. Transfer the mixture to a 9-inch springform pan and press evenly onto the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of the pan (to press, use plastic wrap or a flat-bottom measuring cup). Bake until the crust is fragrant and slightly darkened, 9 to 12 minutes. Let the pan cool on a rack. Lower the oven temperature to 300°F.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, dulce de leche, flour, and a pinch of table salt on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the paddle frequently, until very smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Make sure the cheese has no lumps. Add the 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar and continue beating until well blended and smooth.

Add the vanilla and beat until blended, about 30 seconds. Add the eggs one at a time, beating just until blended. (Don’t overbeat once the eggs have been added or the cheesecake will puff too much and crack as it cools.) Pour the filling into the cooled crust and smooth the top.

Bake at 300°F until the center jiggles like Jell-O when nudged, 55 to 65 minutes. The cake will be slightly puffed around the edges, and the center will still look moist. Set on a rack and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 8 hours and up to 3 days. The cake can also be frozen at this point for up to 1 month. (To freeze, put the unmolded, cooled cake on a rimmed baking sheet in the freezer, uncovered, until the top is cold and firm; then wrap it in two layers of plastic and one layer of foil. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.)

In a small bowl, melt the 3 oz. chopped chocolate and the butter. Add the corn syrup and whisk until smooth. Unclasp and remove the side of the springform pan and run a long, thin metal spatula under the bottom crust of the cheesecake. Carefully slide the cake onto a flat serving plate. Pour the ganache on the cheesecake and spread evenly.

Garnish with whipped cream and serve immediately. To cut, run a thin knife under hot water, wipe it dry, and cut the cake into slices, heating and wiping the knife after every slice.

(Serves 10 to 12)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments on "Create your own cheesecake: Dulce de Leche Cheesecake"

Jess @ Bakericious on June 21, 2010 at 8:24 PM said...

Hi Quinn, I just made cakes with DDL too, one posted and one going to. DDL cheesecake is in my baking list too since I still have 3 cans of DDL. Your DDL cheesecake looks so rich and yummy, make me drooling now.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on June 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM said...

i have yet to get my hands on making DDL, must try this cake once I made DDL. Thanks for sharing.

Anncoo on June 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM said...

WOW Quinn! This DDL cheesecake looks so perfect. I must bookmark this recipe because this is really beautiful.

zurin on June 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM said...

Im making ur ddl tomorrow. I meant to make it today but forgot. Don tknow what Im going to do with it yet but will think of something...ur cheesecake looks fabulous but ..sigh..got to watch the waistline...mine as well of others!! but m bookmarking this though for sure..

Kitchen Corner on June 22, 2010 at 1:11 AM said...

WOW! Very nice cheesecake! Nicely presented and looks perfect!

Su-yin on June 22, 2010 at 7:20 AM said...

Oh yum, this looks great. I love dulce de leche even though it's so remarkably sweet... it tastes good even with plain toast. Lol.

beldandy on June 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM said...

Quinn!

TQ for the recipe!
and TQ for your recipe of homemade dulce de leche...Oh god...I'm looking forward to made that this weekend!

noobcook on June 22, 2010 at 1:37 PM said...

I never knew there are so many flavours of cheesecake, looks great ^^

pigpigscorner on June 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM said...

Must be insanely rich! I agree with you, oreo crust is so much better!

millysminikitchen on June 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM said...

dulce de leche is kinda popping up all over the place at the moment, and i'm totally loving it (have had my first tast over 10 years ago). this looks great!

cheesecake recipes on June 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM said...

That looks heavenly! I will definitely try your recipe, as well as your presentation, lol! We all love cheesecake, my husband, my twin boys and my 4-year old little girl never get tired of trying my cheesecake recipes. I make sure to make each cheesecake unique and different every single time. I'm pretty excited to try yours, I really hope mine will turn out exactly like this, lol!

Quinn on June 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM said...

Thanks guys...seems like a lot of poeple will be making Dulce de Leche and this cheesecake too!

Milly: I agree...it's popping up everywhere! Ten years ago? Time to make some....

Zurin: Honey Bee Sweets told me she made it too!!!! Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it!!! I personally think chocolate and DDL is a good combination in terms of flavour!

cheesecake recipes & Grace: Great presentation? I felt it was too simple but I was too lazy to whip cream to top it off. I guess less is more sometimes...

Su-yin: I don't think it's that sweet after all, or maybe I have very sweet tooth but yeah, things like Dulce de Leche, a little goes a long long way...

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on June 23, 2010 at 12:17 AM said...

Oh wow the cake looks incredible! And the drizzling was just perfect! Thank you for the cool link by the way. Love it =)

DG on June 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM said...

I enjoyed reading your "DDL" post and thanks for introducing us about Finecooking.com :) Your cheesecakes look fabulous.

Christine@Christine's Recipes on June 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM said...

Creating your own version of cheesecake is absolutely fantastic. Love the yummy Oreo cookies being the crusty base.

Quinn on June 23, 2010 at 9:28 PM said...

Clare & DG : Gotta love Finecooking isn't it? I love the idea of a personalized cheesecake!!!! Yeah....that DDL post was purely emotional, you like it???

Christine: Love love love the Oreo crust. A helpful tip, I kept the cream from the Oreo and use less butter to bind, works fine!

zurin on June 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM said...

Quinn!! I made the DDL! turned out perfect.....go see k.

Honey Bee Sweets on June 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM said...

BIG Wow...looks so rich and yummy. :D Looks like you have put your DDL in good use my friend. Me? My DDL is thick and rich too but unfortunately I have yet got to it,still in that glass jar. :P Okay...have to start thinking what to do with it...but thanks for the idea! ;)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on June 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM said...

Quinn, what more can I say? These look decadent! I don't mind having a slice here ... Hehe ...

OMG! Why is dulce de leche getting omnipresent in the Food Blogosphere!? Everyone is having dulce de leche fever seems like ...

Quinn on June 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM said...

Zu: I've checked them out. They look great! Way way better than mine, you've definitely cook it looooooong! That thumbprint cookies with DDL filling and nut coating is smart and modern.

HBS: It keeps well in the fridge, try making ice cream with it, very lovely.

Pei-Lin darling...They are very decadent, a little too rich in fact that I have to slice them up really small. I don't know who started or inspired this whole thing. I just figured one night when I was watching football that I have a can of condensed milk that's been in the pantry for ages so I just give Dulce de Leche ago. It's a sweet fever!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez