Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pumpkin Custard Buns

Posted by Quinn at Thursday, June 03, 2010

Can I start off this post by saying thank you for all the raves and wishes on Aaron's birthday. You all have no ideas how much the comments meant to me and Aaron. Having said that, we really appreciate silent readers and emails as well. Aaron is in Perth now as I am typing this. Left this morning, won't come back till next Monday. He's got an interview with Rio Tinto and he's there to meet a friend as well. He indeed has secured a job but he wants the free trip to Perth. He is one happy guy now. I'm happy too because I got the interview as well! I'll be flying end of this month and I really hope I'll secure a job this time!


Back to simple, back to bread. Or buns to be exact. This is adapted from Aunty Yochana. I The original recipe uses sweet potato but I've used butternut pumpkin instead. This recipe is so special because the filling calls for vanilla ice cream! You basically just combine everything and ice cream was part of it. This also calls for instant custard powder, something you might not necessarily have and can find if you're in Australia.

If you can get your hands on all the ingredients, then try this. I might cut down the sugar a little next time because the ice cream was a bit too sweet already since I use store-bought stuffs. I also changed the shaping method as you could see as I wanted something simple, just flatten and fill and pinch to seal and that's it. I probably still haven't got over the whole Heaven and Hell thingy.... The buns are very very very, very soft. It couldn't have been any softer for a simple sweet bun that doesn't call for water roux.

Pumpkin Custard Buns
(makes approximately 10 buns)


300 bread flour
2.5 tsp instant dry yeast
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fresh milk
40 gm. butter, softened
Pumpkin seeds for decoration

Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Make a well and pour in the water and fresh milk. Knead until it forms a soft dough and add in the butter. Continue kneading until it is smooth, shiny, satiny and that all the butter is fully incorporated. I usually do 15-20 mins. Don't bother about the stretch test because if you knead by hand, it is almost impossible to achieve however the texture, I assure you, is not compromised. You gotta trust me on this one.

I knead on my clean wooden table. After 15mins, I use a heavy glass bowl and cover it. Yes, I proof it just like that. There's really no need for a new, clean, greased bowl and plastic wrap. Consider the environment. Let it rise/proof for 40mins or so or until double in size.

Knock down the dough with your knuckles and knead to form a smooth dough again. Weigh it into 60g portions. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it relax for 10mins or so. Now, roll it into a round ball and place a portion of the filling (recipe below) on it. Pinch the seams to seal very well and place it on a lined and greased baking tray, seam side down. Repeat with the rest of the buns and Let it rise one last time until double in size.

Almost there...now preheat your oven to 190°C and very gently glaze your buns.

I used to always overdo it because I don't know what to do with the remaining egg wash. Don't, please don't soak the buns. Just make an omelette or add to your fried rice but don't over glaze your buns....
Scatter some pumpkin seeds on them. Well, it's a pumpkin filled bun so of course you use pepitas! And I arranged them rather than scatter, simply because I'm such a freak in being perfect.

Bake them in a preheated oven until they're evenly browned, about 10mins would do. I am weird like this, I like my buns to have a salted taste to it. I always brush my buns with salted melted butter the moment they're out from the oven. It gives them a very nice saltiness when you sink your teeth into it. It also gives it the shine and glossy look you want like faux buns.

Filling

200g sweet potato/pumpkin (peeled, steamed and mashed)
125g vanilla ice-cream
1/4 cup castor sugar (I would use just 2 tbsp next time!)
50g instant custard powder

Place everything in a food processor and pulse until combined. Weigh into 10 portions and chill it well. Roll into a roundish ball and chill again until ready to use.

Cool slightly on wire rack and serve warm with tea....Yummmy! Okay, I'm gonna go do all my backlogs and post it up since I'm free these few days when Aaron is not around. That goes to show how much time I spent with him and it's been years and I'm not sick of him at all, not sure about him but yeah, we're very much attached, like glue.

This post have been submitted to Yeastspotting, a weekly bread showcase organized by Susan of Wild Yeast.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments on "Pumpkin Custard Buns"

Kitchen Corner on June 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM said...

Oh..I must give this a try since it doesn't call for water roux. You've very nice buns!

zurin on June 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM said...

Oh Quinn these are adorable ..n i cant believe it has ice cream in it! double delicious. I must try...of course i have so many must trys ..I know...but I must.

hope u get teh job Quinn..I'll pray u get it. all the best dear.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on June 3, 2010 at 5:09 PM said...

got ice cream inside this bun! wor, I must try this soon, kids sure love this bun.

pigpigscorner on June 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM said...

These are so cute! and I like the pumpkin custard filling!

Christine@Christine's Recipes on June 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM said...

The little buns look very cute. Yummy, love the pumpkin custard fillings. You're very good at baking.

Cheah on June 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM said...

Hi Quinn! First time dropping by, have heard quite a bit about your blog from other bloggers, so thought I'd take a peep. Interesting blog you have and I like these buns, with ice cream filling, that's something new. Thanks for sharing!

noobcook on June 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM said...

really nice! love the golden brown and how you arranged the pumpkin seeds to form the flower :)

Jess @ Bakericious on June 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM said...

Oh Quinn, if hand kneading can achieve soft bun, I m going to try it soon cos your bun looks like store-bought and with ice-cream in it, I m drooling! And all of the best for your interviewing.

Quinn on June 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM said...

Thanks everyone!

Zurin: I know I'm normal, I do have a long to-do-list and bookmarked pages as well. I am normal.

Cheah: Oh great, thanks. I took that as a compliment. I've heard of no-frills ages ago and I do recreate some of your recipes. I'm still perfecting that 'Wu Kok' of yours!

Jess: Yes, hand kneading is possible in achieving these buns.

Thanks for the 'pressure', I'll get the job!

sokeleng on April 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

I created pumpkin bun this afternoon. It is very delicious. First of all, I chopped the pumpkin into small pieces and cooked it in microwave oven for 5 minutes. Then added in sugar, milk powder, few table spoons water, custard power, butter, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon into the mixture, mashed the pumpkin until it turn to paste. Let it rest for 15 min or until the paste is in room temperature. As the temperature is dropped, shape the paste into ball shaped and wraps it with bread dough. Let it proceed a with second round proving and bake for 10 minutes.

Lisa
www.bakingfrenzy.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez