Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sago Gula Melaka

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, June 30, 2010


It's been ages since I last ate Sago Gula Melaka. Or Sago Gula Melaka Dulce de Leche to be exact. The last time I had it, it was in Changkat Bukit Bintang, it's called Nyonya Wok I think. For just sago, coconut milk and gula melaka (also known as palm sugar in English), we paid RM14 just for it and I kid you not, Sago Gula Melaka does not even require any skills in making them.

Don't believe me? Bring a large pot of water to boil and rinse as much sago as you like (I'd say 4 tbsp per person) under running tap water and drain them. When the water is boiling, pour in the sago and stir to prevent clumping. Cook them until they turn almost transparent. You need a large pot of water for small quantity of sago as the water gets really starchy later on.

While that is happening, crack open a can of coconut cream and lightly salt them and set aside. Chop up some Gula Melaka or spoon a few tablespoon of the thick and luscious Dulce de Leche, one or two knotted Pandan Leaves and a splash of water and bring it to boil over the stove. When it is all dissolved, pour them into a spouted jug and chill until very very cold and viscous. Do the same to the coconut milk as well.

Lightly whisk one egg white until foamy. When all the sago turn transparent, pour them into a large sieve and wash them under runny tap water until they are all separated from each other. Dribble in as much egg white just to bind and stir them in one direction until they are slightly gluey. Pour them into individual serving mould and chill in the fridge.

After dinner and when dishes are done, tip the sago pudding out on a plate and pass around gula melaka syrup and coconut milk so people can pour in as much or as little of each as they like.

And that's it. Miraculously easy and I can serve 20 people for less than RM14. Don't ask my why rinse them under tap water and then use egg white and bind them again. The answer is because my grandma said so. Sometimes, things that happen in life, they happen for a reason, you just don't question them. If doing it this way works, then I'll stick to it. It doesn't cost me anything. Yes, feel free to experiment but I am feeling very comfortable doing it the old Nana's way. I know many of you just drain the sago and plonk it into the mould and the starch will bind them together. Never try that before but if you're comfortable doing that, stick to it.

How this taste with Dulce de Leche instead of Gula Melaka? Distinct, special, not weird, yummy but not a big fan of it if you ask me. I like Dulce de Leche but no, I don't think they should find their way in my sago pudding next time. It's a matter of preference. Only I don't like it. Others love it. See?

Sago Gula Melaka. For merely sago, santan and gula melaka, why pay so much outside?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Sago Gula Melaka"

Jess @ Bakericious on June 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM said...

HI Quinn, your Sago Gula Melaka looks so pretty, can see the each of sago is individually seperated instead of I saw from some are glued together. If I am making this dessert wil definately try ur method, thanks for sharing!

busygran on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM said...

Tempting and making me want to eat some more. I just had this at my daughter's place yesterday. She used the small sago and it was good. She used instant gula melaka which she had bought from Malacca. Trust the business people to make everything convenient!
Btw, you used egg white, does that mean it's uncooked?

Quinn on June 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM said...

@busygran: My eggs are organic and pasteurized. When I dribble in the egg whites, the sago are still warm. You need to dribble in in and stir vigorously at the same time because the last time I didn't stir quick enough, egg white bits formed. Does that tell you something about the temperature???

I'd say the egg whites are partially cooked if you demand a distinct answer.

p/s: I am also using small sago, I know they look huge because I took an upclose shot. We have convenient rice which is cooked and only require one minute in the microwave. Tell me about convenience!!!

Cheers.

zurin on June 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM said...

your sago is so pretty Quinn. Ive never used egg white before .It sounds interesting.must try nxt time. :))

Honey Bee Sweets on June 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM said...

These little pearl sago are so pretty. :) Must be really yummy, especially chilled! ;D Your sago are cooked to perfection...mine usually over boiled and sometimes even melted away, lol! Nice one....jot down jot down.

Christine on June 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM said...

oh...sago-sago, I love sago gula melaka, it's so Rasa Malaysia.

busygran on June 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM said...

Thanks Quinn. Will try it with egg white and see how it turns out. I usually dunk the cooked sago in icy cold water and remove immediately.

Su-yin on June 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM said...

SAGO! Oh man I haven't had this in agessss. I usually dump some sago into my red bean soup to get a sago fix. :P

Have never made it with egg white, how interesting!

Anncoo on July 1, 2010 at 1:39 AM said...

This dessert is so beautiful and nicely decorated. The sago looks like pearl.

Happy Homebaker on July 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM said...

What a lovely dessert, it looks so yummy!

Swee San on July 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM said...

they looked very pretty!! haven't had one in ages.. Ok I should make it. I never order it outside because it's just ridiculously priced, like u've said... No rocket science but priced rocket high.. heh..

Blessed Homemaker on July 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM said...

I've always wanted to make this!! Argh!!! I'm so tempted by your pics!

Quinn on July 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Thank you!!!!

I don't know how special this is to some of you all but egg whites in sago to me is really common, probably like I said, I grew up with it...

HBS: Yeap, they do look like little pearls, clump together, beautiful to look at and beautiful to eat!

Su-Yin: For sago fix, I sometimes add it to everything, my bubur cha cha, sweet potato dessert and also bee koh moy!

Swee: Ahhh....I love how you put it. No rocket science but priced rocket high!!!!

Blessed Homemaker: Why wait? Make it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez