Sunday, June 27, 2010

Talam Serimuka Telang

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, June 27, 2010


I made these 'Talam Serimuka Telang' sometime back when I hosted a Nasi Lemak Lunch Party for a few good friends. I cut them into random shapes and serve them on a plate with a Pandan leaf on it, just so they get the idea of what goes in and what's Pandan. I tinted the glutinous rice with Bunga Telang given by Sonia. The original recipe was from the book 'Steamed Cakes' by Zubaidah Bt. Chepa. I got it when I was in Malaysia. It's called 'Talam Serimuka Batik' where the author uses a mixture of black and white glutinous rice but I decided to go blue naturally.


I cut the recipe in half and steam it in a 7'' round tray. The height was just right and it cuts up into two plate full of triangles, just enough and perfect as an after meal dessert for 6-8 people. Here's what Ive used:

Talam Serimuka Telang

200g white glutinous rice
Bunga Telang, a good handful
100g coconut cream
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 Pandan Leaves, knotted (optional)

Wash the glutinous rice under running water tap until no longer cloudy. Mix water with Bunga Telang and rub and squeeze it to extract a deep dark blue hue. Strain it and mix the water with the glutinous rice and soak it overnight. Drain it well and mix it with the coconut cream and salt. Pour into a greased pan and place the knotted Pandan leaves over and steam it over high heat for 25 minutes.

Make the custard now:

125g coconut cream
100g coconut milk
1.5 eggs (I use two small eggs)
1/2 cup sugar (I use just 5 tbsp of it)
50g plain flour
1/2 tsp applee green colouring (I use Pandan paste)

Mix all the ingredients for custard in a bowl and strain it once. When the rice is done, fluff it up with a fork and compress it into a greased pan (I use the same pan). Use a banana leaves or a glass covered with foil to compress well. Pour over the strained custard and cover the whole pan with foil tightly. Steam it over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.



Cool completely before slicing into diamonds or triangles. The book traced it out with a flower shaped cookie cutter but make sure you oil your cutter well. And use a plastic knife, lightly greased to slice them. It helps in getting neat cuts and they don't stick to the plastic knife.

This is a typical Malaysian Style Kuih you could easily get from wet markets. The Bunga Telang is solely optional but it does lend a nice fragrant to the rice. The Pandan leaves and paste was my addition but the book didn't say you need it. If your custard has bubbles in it, use a blow torch and run it across the surface and the bubbles will all magically disappear.

Try making it, it's easy and looks fantastic!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Talam Serimuka Telang"

Jess @ Bakericious on June 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM said...

the colors are so nice and looks yummy too

zurin on June 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Brilliant Quinn! I love the blue. I have never used bunga telang in kuihs b4 bcos ive never been able to find it. But I have to search. I love the colour! the kuihs look realy neat cut like that. good idea :)

Honey Bee Sweets on June 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM said...

Envy! I so want to have some bunga telang also. Too bad I wasn't one of the "chosen" ones. *sob* Got to ask my friend to sun dry some for me the next time I go back KL, heehee. Your Talam Serimuka looks sooo good. Always love the glutinous rice with coconut kueh combo...the chewy texture and fragrant coconut...yum. :)

busygran on June 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM said...

Lovely-looking kuih. nothing like natural stuff. Clitoria ternatea or butterfly blue pea flowers are popular with the nonyas. My Mum-in-law used to sun-dry them and use them in kuihs. i am too lazy and i use colouring.

Anncoo on June 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM said...

This is beautiful and looks so yummy.
Anyway Quinn, if you still have the dried Bunga Telang, you can just stuff it into a pot of soil and its can grow easily.

ICook4Fun on June 28, 2010 at 4:20 AM said...

Quinn, that is a beautiful seri muka. I too used the bunga telang Sonia gave me to make some Nyonya chang the other day. I managed to plant a few bunga telang here and hopefully it will flower before winter comes. Keeping my fingers cross :)

ABowlOfMush on June 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM said...

Wow these look so fun!!
They sound so delicious!!

edith on June 28, 2010 at 8:55 AM said...

Despite me not liking coconut milk, I love this kueh.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on June 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM said...

Quinn, this is beautiful, good idea to have the rice with all blue but not part of it.

Elin on June 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM said...

Quinn...you are a genius to put these two colors together. Beautiful and so serene...hahaha but I will still put it into my mouth though thru the Windows :)

Great job! I don't think I can make them so well like you. I am hopeless when it comes to making local kuih :(

pigpigscorner on June 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM said...

I like the blue! Can I have a plate with some kaya please =)

wendyywy @ Table for 2 or more..... on June 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM said...

Oh, this looks great. My hubby's favourite seri muka. I'll try this with blue too, next time when I plant my own flowes.

Quinn on June 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM said...

Thanks all for the very much appreciated comments and views.

Zurin: Yeah, when it comes to kuiha nd glutinous rice stuffs, nothing beats a plastic knife, you know those cheapo that comes with birthday cakes? Works beautifully!

Anncoo: It's dried and I still don't quite get it how on earth is it going to grow????

Gert: Did you plant with the dried bunga telang that Sonia gave us???

Sonia: Thanks! I usually do part blue and part white in Pulut Tai Tai and Rempah Udang but for this instance, I just wanted to do all blue and see how it'll look like!

Elin: Awwww Elin, can't say that. You're such a great cook/mum and everything great! Your stews and pasta, they're all so easy to follow. You can make kuih, they're easy. Must try and have faith!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez