Sunday, July 11, 2010

Coffee Creme Caramel

Posted by Quinn at Sunday, July 11, 2010


This is adapted from Tessa Kiros's fourth book, Piri Piri Starfish. I've been using this book pretty frequently lately. A lot of cooking calls for Chorizo and I am loving the spicy sausage taste. While Aaron is away, I didn't cook enough to make a proper savoury meal for myself. But I did make a lot of desserts and this coffee creme caramel was made for breakfast. It has coffee, egg and milk in it. I was imagining myself eating scrambled egg on toast with a glass of milk and a dreamy bitter coffee. I think it fits the bill for breakfast and is very easy to pull together.

It doesn't make a lot and you can leave it in the fridge for up to a week. Just tip it out when you would like to have one and as you pass the fridge and couldn't resist the urge to dig in.


Coffee Creme Caramel

(makes enough to fill up 8 moulds of 100ml capacity each
)

For the caramel:
1/2 cup (100g) castor sugar
1 tbsp Port or Whisky

For the custard: 450ml milk
1/4 cup (60ml) strong espresso coffee
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (50g) castor (superfine) sugar
A few drops of vanilla extract


To make the caramel, tip the sugar into a heavy-based non-stick pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of water. Heat it up, stirring, until the sugar starts to melt, then tilt the pan to swirl it around- don't stir anymore or the sugar will crystallise. Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to stop the sugar reforming on the side. Carry on heating and swirling a few times until all the sugar has melted and turned deep golden caramel brown. Stir in the port, watching out for it spitting. Pour into your moulds, swirling so the caramel covers the bottoms. Put the moulds into a large roasting tin and leave to cool while you make the filing. Preheat the oven to 160°C.

To make the custard, heat the milk in a saucepan just to boiling point, then whisk in the coffee and remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together very lightly, just enough to incorporate the sugar but not enough to make it froth. Add a ladleful of the hot milk to the eggs, whipping to acclimatise them, then pour in all the hot milk and stir together. Pour into the moulds.

Pour boiling water into the roasting tin halfway up the sides of the moulds and lift into the oven.Bake for 40 minutes or until the custard is set.

Leave to cool then cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. These are best eaten the next day, when the caramel has dissolved a bit and the custard has firmed up.To turn out, press down with your fingers in gentle dancing piano movements all around the edges of the custards to loosen them from the moulds. Shuffle or shake the mould quite roughly, hold a plate firmly over the top and flip it all over. If the custard refuses to plop out, dip the bottom of the mould in hot water for just a very few seconds. Serve with ever-so-lightly sweetened whipped cream or just plain.

Serve 6-8

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Coffee Creme Caramel"

zurin on July 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM said...

mmm I love coffee in desserts! this looks so good and for breakfast??!! what a great idea. I never cld resisit a creme caramel. One of my fave desserts to eat and to make. :)

MaryMoh on July 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM said...

This looks really delicious. I'm sure this will cure my jet lag :D

Su-yin on July 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM said...

Coffee and alcohol - yum. I would love to have some of this in my fridge for those emergency sugar high necessity moments! ;)

busygran on July 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM said...

I love anything with coffee and I love your creme caramel. A great dessert!

pigpigscorner on July 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM said...

Wow, you have this for breakfast?? So jealous!

Honey Bee Sweets on July 12, 2010 at 12:35 AM said...

This is definitely going into my to-do-list. My sister loves this coffee pudding from a Jap restaurant we frequent. Will make this for her. Thanks for the recipe!

Nicole on July 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM said...

I swore I would never buy another Tessa Kiros Cookbook after Falling Cloudberries (I didn't realize that the book contained no actual cloudberry recipes until after my purchase). They are very beautiful, but I find them really impractical and the end up sitting on a shelf. After seeing your post and the mention of chorizo, I am being tempted once again...

Quinn on July 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM said...

@Nicole: I completely disagree with you. In fact, Tessa Kiros best selling books have gotta be Apples for Jam and Falling Cloudberries and these two books are what I have used heavily in my cooking. From entree to desserts, Falling Cloudberries has everything I look for. I cannot think of another book more perfect and cover so many aspects and so many different cooking techniques, flavours and so regional and original like Falling Cloudberries. I think the title of the book cannot be used to represent the ingredients. Her other book Piri Piri Starfish indeed contain a lot of Piri Piri and Starfish recipes but Falling Cloudberries, she has used the title that truly represents her childhood, the smell she is ever so familiar of.

P/S: If you think Falling Cloudberries is not a good buy, I would personally think you will find Piri Piri Starfish almost untouched, sitting right at the shelf because they call for a lot of exotic ingredients with no substitutions. But if you hunt them down and cook it, it's great. With Tessa Kiros's book, anyone can cook.

Jess @ Bakericious on July 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM said...

this look soft and wobbly, yummy

Jo on July 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM said...

I grew up eating baked creme caramel. There is a very old restaurant in KL (Colesium which used to be a British expat hangon in the 1950s) that served a mean baked caramel. This coffee flavoured one sounds and looks so yummy. Love the syruppy sauce with it.

Shirley @ Kokken69 on July 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM said...

Quinn, your coffee pudding looks really delicious. Having this for breakfast? Can it really sustain you through the morning,girl?

Jess @ Bakericious on July 15, 2010 at 2:15 AM said...

Hi Quinn, I have some awards for you, feel free to pick them up from my blog :).

Made2Order on July 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM said...

this looks like a 10/10 for sure. i am following you for sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez