Saturday, July 3, 2010

The last dessert: Oreo Truffles on Stick

Posted by Quinn at Saturday, July 03, 2010


He is gone....Aaron is gone. This is the last dessert he ate made by me before he left. He's in Perth, and he will be there for a solid one month or more. But after that, his job will have him based in Adelaide so we're doing another six months contract with our landlord before we move out to a place where we could call home. But for now, I'd prefer a shared house like this.

When I bake to distress myself, I have people to share with me. In return, we sometimes cook together and share food. I love sharing, it makes me feel warm. I hate being alone....I never knew I'd be so reliant of Aaron. Apparently, as time goes by and all the nomading around, we have just a small handful of friends. It's horrible to not have your family with you at such stage of your life and now your partner is gone and you are left with little friends.

These are chocolate coated Oreo truffles. It's basically cream cheese and finely crushed Oreo biscuits blended together. I don't know how others can make theirs so dark but I use 125g cream cheese and 8 pieces of whole Oreo biscuits, including the cream. And yet they are just greyish like but that's all I have left. These are made from leftovers from my Dulce de Leche Cheesecake, both the Oreo biscuits and the cream cheese. You can choose to coat them in milk chocolate or white chocolate for a better contrast in colour. I did half half each and place remaining melted chocolates into a piping bag and just pipe random stripes on the dried 'Oreo Truffles on Stick'.

I hate myself for always having issues with Aaron when he was around. I felt we didn't appreciate each other enough. I shed tears when I sleep every night when I think about him being away from me. I hate how his room felt when I step in to tidy it, cold and quiet. I hate how I cannot share my cosy bed with anyone else. I hate how weak I am.

I'm taking over Aaron's part-time, doing a waitressing job in a restaurant 5 minutes away from my house. The pay is relatively good and I'm glad I'm bringing money in while waiting. Did I mention, to walk to work, you have to walk through this huge park and everything gets dark at 4pm because it's winter now. Every time I walk home from work, I run across the park. I'm terrified at the thoughts about how a handful of people tell me it's not safe to walk across the park at night and so forth....I run and run and run until I safely reach home. With my takeaway, a quick shower and eating dinner at 11:30pm....No, it doesn't feel good at all but I am happy Aaron started work already and is living very comfortably in Perth, he has plenty of friends there. I'd never have to worry and he'd never miss me when he has friends. I am very happy as long as he is happy.

It's always like that...when he has friends with him to hang out, he calls you thrice a day and then the call slowly dwindled to one and to none if you don't call him. I know we can never do a long distance relationship because of issues like that, don't talk about test of faith. Anyway, he's just too busy and occupied with work and has no time for anything else. He just gets home after work, dinner, shower and calls me and sleep. I feel for him....I know he is tired but I can't do anything to help him... I'm just having mixed feeling right now...I really don't know what I'm babbling. It's like you have just popped fries with ice cream into your mouth, it's a yum-yuck feeling.

Sorry, I disgress. Back to the Truffles-on-Stick, as usual, I dried it on my colander just like my previous cake pops because I don't have styrofoam boxes. They work well but turning them from time to time helps in drying quicker.

Couldn't resist eating them while taking the pictures. These are best served chilled.

Oreo-pops
(makes 12 pops)


125g cream cheese
8 pieces whole Oreo biscuits, pulsed with the cream until very very fine
White Chocolate
Milk chocolate


Mix the cream cheese and finely crushed Oreos until combined and form 12 parts. Chill them until they are easier to manage and roll them in between your palms to form perfect balls. Freeze them while you get along melting both chocolates in separate cups. I microwave my chocolates first in ramekins (each of 1/2 cup capacity) and place them directly in a pan filled with simmering water. Just make sure you don't get water in the chocolates else they'll sizzle. My ramekins were small but high so it makes the dipping a lot easier and you need to use less chocolates and less leftovers.

Four ingredients are all you need to make these Oreo-pops, so easy to make and looks fantastically gorgeous! Make some!


p/s: I just wanna let you guys know that this whole one-month-in-Perth thingy happened a while ago so please, please, do not feel like you are obliged to console me and leave comments of encouragement. I never felt like the whole world is upon me and everyone owes me a fair share in life. I felt out of place to say so because kindness is never a necessity but you know, just in case, some of you out there, feel so, please don't be. You're fine. By now, we are both fine and I am a lot more settled, emotion-wise and when I wake up to not have him around every morning, that is the reality check.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments on "The last dessert: Oreo Truffles on Stick"

edith on July 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM said...

Want to drop by Singapore for a some shopping therapy? heheh... your truffles look yummy to tempt me now.

pigpigscorner on July 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM said...

I want to be your flatmate too! These look so good!

busygran on July 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM said...

Cheer up Quinn, time flies. Keep posting goodies for me and all of us to drool. Love your oreo truffles. can imagine myself nibbling on it now.

zurin on July 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM said...

oh dear Quinn..those truffles look absolutely scrummy! Change is hard but good in the end. you'll see.:)

Passionate About Baking on July 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
You're such a brave lady! Live it up! :)
Thanks for sharing this simple, but wonderful Oreo Truffles. It looks like something my children will definitely love! I'll just have to try this out!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on July 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM said...

P.S. I like the smiley truffle =)

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on July 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM said...

Ah it's hard being far away from those we care about... Glad you have your kitchen to keep you company though, and everything you produce there always looks so utterly fabulous! As I went through this post I thought sheesh she shouldn't be waitressing at a restaurant she should be starting her own!

Su-yin on July 4, 2010 at 5:22 AM said...

I love Oreo truffles, they're just so simple yet so impressive. :) I like using Tim tams too!

galronni on July 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM said...

Ahh.. something for the leftover cream cheese! Great idea. Thanks for this recipe.

Jess @ Bakericious on July 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM said...

the truffles looks so yummy and chocolately, I am sure I can have more than 1 :).

Jo on July 4, 2010 at 6:12 PM said...

Quinn, I wish you were here so that I can give you a big hug. I'm with Edith. If you are in Singapore, we will both take you out. In the meantime, be strong!

millysminikitchen on July 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM said...

I hope everything gets sorted. Chin up, the month with fly by and then you'll be together again. By the way, these look amazing!

Penny Wolf said...

I love that you used a collander to dry the pops. You are being very green and every little bit helps! Artistically it's also perfect.

Honey Bee Sweets on July 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM said...

I am so glad you are hanging in there strong. :) Please promise to be extra careful when you cross that park when it's dark. Your truffles are gorgeous! Who needs to buy any from the store, guess I can just whip up some with your recipe, thanks!

noobcook on July 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM said...

your truffles are really pretty. cheer up k, I'm sure things will pick up :)

MaryMoh on July 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM said...

Time flies ad I hope you are doing well. Love your truffles. They look really pretty on sticks. I must try them. Thanks very much for sharing.

Shirley @ Kokken69 on July 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM said...

These lollies look very good indeed, perfect for a party. I don't think you are being too reliant on Aaron. You sound like a smart independent lady to me. I would like to believe that the immense sense of emptiness is due to your having 'too much time' on your hands. Once you get busy with other stuff, you will feel better. You need distraction! :)

Heavenly Housewife on July 5, 2010 at 10:58 PM said...

Yummy! THis is going into my bookmarks! Very clever of you to use a colander to hold the pops. I need to try that.
*kisses* HH

cariso on July 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM said...

The truffles look cute and nice!

Swee San on July 6, 2010 at 10:15 PM said...

they look pretty! I hope this one month passes by really quickly :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on July 6, 2010 at 11:28 PM said...

Quinn, I felt for you as I read along. I'm sorry to hear that. But, it's a good thing that Aaron FINALLY started working! See, that's when your wedding plan would come in slowly ... See? ;) He'd better be a good, responsible husband!

Hey, I know what you mean about walking home late at night from work. I'd been thru that myself, walking home from school at close to midnight ... for about 20 minutes!? Even in winter, when it was -30C out there! I think when compared to Malaysia, it's safer there lar ... In KL, I dare not to go home myself late at night, which explains why I stay home a lot.

I know being lonely sucks. Hey, at least you have Aaron now mah! Aiya ... What more can you ask for? You wanna compare yourself with me!? (Haha! What am I?)

BUT, I believe in you ... in you and Aaron. Sometimes, you never know, LDRs work. I now know a colleague who, before getting married, had a 7-year LDR with her now-hubbs. One in KL, one in London. Can imagine that!? They withstood the test of faith, got married 7 years later. =)

Looking forward to the day when both of you tie the knot. I'm SO gonna be your "sister." Hiak, hiak!

Sara Tea on July 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM said...

at least you have these delicious truffles to keep you company :)

these look so great. thanks for sharing.

petite nyonya on July 8, 2010 at 11:25 PM said...

i hope you're feeling better! are u and aaron plan on moving to adelaide in the near future? if u have confidence and trust in yr relationship, then worry not. sometimes being apart for a while is not all that bad. when u two get back together, it will be a lot better. have faith and let it be. don't worry k.

Bakertan on July 11, 2010 at 12:03 AM said...

Hi Quinn,

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Really appreciate the compliments and advice. I still have a lot to learn from you and other fellow bloggers =]

These truffles look really good and have provided me with some good ideas for a sweet treat for festive occasions.

cheers and happy baking

galronni on July 17, 2010 at 2:01 AM said...

Hi Quinn, a pure baking/cooking question - do you think I can just use the Oreo biscuits minus the cream for these truffles? Hubby bought a really terrible new Oreo flavor - blueberry "ice cream". Basically tasted like some blue coloring with artificial mint over the original cream. Yucks. I need to get rid of it fast without hurting his feelings! Can I just use the biscuit portions?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez