Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Matcha and White Chocolate Panna Cotta

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I first saw the Matcha Madness event from Ann's blog here. She made a gorgeous looking cheesecake.


I feel like I wanna be part of it simply to show my love for everything Matcha too. The flavour and aroma from Matcha powder is simply enough to have me dunk my finger in and lick it just like that.


I've developed this Matcha and White Chocolate Panna Cotta recipe, enough to serve one or two people. It is very rich as I've used purely dairy cream here. I like how the bitterness of the Matcha layer cuts through the sweetness of the white chocolate layer. The flavour of the white chocolate was dominantly present too and does not overpower the Matcha layer. I have also added a small amount of lavender buds and vanilla bean for flavouring. I love how they both leave a slight perfumed smell on my panna cotta, the flavour of the lavender comes through towards the end and is left lingering in your mouth for a while followed by the vanilla.

If you wanna try something wobbly for dessert, this made ahead panna cotta would do it for you to impress.


Matcha & White Chocolate Panna Cotta
(Makes enough to fill 1 or 2 Martini glasses, depending on size)

1/2 tsp gelatine powder
1 tbsp milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 vanilla bean, seeds scraped with a thin blade knife
1 tsp lavender buds, organic and food grade ones
1 tsp good quality Matcha powder
20g good quality white chocolate, chopped smallish

Sprinkle gelatine powder over the 1 tbsp milk and set aside to swell a bit. In a small milk pot, combine the heavy cream, castor sugar, lavender buds vanilla seeds and the pod. Bring it to a gentle simmer over low heat until you see small bubbles appearing from the sides. Remove it from the heat and whisk in the gelatine paste. Run your finger through the mixture and feel if there's any undissolved gelatine. If it's smooth, skip the straining process. Roughly divide the mixture into two equal parts. Add the 1 tsp Matcha powder to one part and the chopped white chocolate to another part. Layer into serving glasses and chill overnight or a good several hours. Dust with Matcha powder upon serving


Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments on "Matcha and White Chocolate Panna Cotta"

Kitchen Corner on July 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM said...

This panna cotta looks so classy! Very nice presented!

busygran on July 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM said...

Such an elegant-looking dessert!

MaryMoh on July 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM said...

That looks rich, creamy, beautiful and delicious! I'm sure one is not enough for me :D

Christine@Christine's Recipes on July 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM said...

Aw,your Matcha and White Chocolate Panna Cotta looks very classy and stunning.

My daughter and I are big fans of Matcha. We love every dessert that is made by matcha.

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on July 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM said...

Seriously, you're really a dairy freak! LOL! I saw your comment on Shirley's. Hey, ya know what, one more thing that ties you and I both together is our love for matcha! I love anything matcha, too! So is my mom! Your dessert looks so damn cool, man ... reminds of jade ... somehow ... Dunno why though ... Haha!

Jess @ Bakericious on July 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM said...

looks so rich and creamy, can imagine how tastely is this dessert

Honey Bee Sweets on July 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM said...

Love the idea of putting this desert in a martini cup, so elegant! My matcha powder has been in the cupboard for the longest time now. :P I think this matcha madness is a great idea! Perhaps will get in this "madness" later if time permits. Thanks for the inspiration.....once again. ;)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on July 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM said...

nice presentation, look refreshing using matcha, well done.

pigpigscorner on July 29, 2010 at 10:54 PM said...

Beautiful! I like the idea of adding lavender buds! Must be so fragrant. Thanks for the shout-out!

Sweet P on July 30, 2010 at 6:46 AM said...

omg. <3 ur blog! this panna cotta looks awesome. my moms gonna go crazy about this recipe :)

Quinn on August 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM said...

Thank you everyone!

Christine: I am a crazily huge fan of Matcha, just me and youngest sis though, the rest of the family stopped at plain ol' matcha tea in Sushi Bar!

Pei-Lin: I am a dairy freak and proudly admit it. A friend once told me I live like the Swiss people. They drink milk in place of water to accompany through each meal, and that is exactly what I do!

Bee: Sure can find time right? Matcha Bread with Adzuki Bean!

Ann: Thanks for the inspiration and yeap, love the slight hint of lavender in it!

Sweet P: Make some for mum!

LaraQ on November 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM said...

How do you get the layering to work? Doesn't it mix since both layers are liquid?

Quinn on December 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM said...

LaraQ,

You set one layer in the fridge first and then pour the other layer on. If the other layer has slightly set while waiting for first layer to set, a quick 15secs in microwave will bring it back to liquid state again else just gently bring them back to heat over the stove.

Also helps if your serving glass is chilled, first layer sets a lot faster.

LaraQ on December 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM said...

That's what I thought but your instructions don't specify that and, in fact, imply that you don't have to wait to pour the top layer over the bottom one. I would like to pour the panna cotta into a tall champagne flute, tilt it and let it set before pouring on the 2nd layer. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez