Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Salted Butter Caramel, Vanilla and Chocolate Mousse

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I wanna start off by telling you all where I get these glasses. I was on Qantas Airway and I saw they use these glasses to serve wines to passengers. They're pretty good stuffs, we Australians hate drinking liquors from plastic cups. And they are so small , just over 1/3 cup capacity per glass. I didn't exactly smuggled them, I asked a very cute air-steward if I can bring these home with me because I collect props for my photography and these are money-can't-buy good stuff. He asked me how many do I want and I said two if possible and he said 'be-right-back' and walked off. And he graciously came back with two of these lovely glasses for me....And said they're complimentary from Qantas and they're even dishwasher safe. How awesome is that??? So if you like these glasses, the next time you fly, choose Qantas and you'll get them for absolutely nothing! I hop on the plane a lot, I hope you do too....I spent more hours in the plane then back in Malaysia this year...

These are adapted from Helen of Tartelette. They are like what the title says, mousses in three different flavours, layered together in a small glas, finished off with more Dutch Cocoa Powder and a pinch of salt. I've used Murray River Pink Salt Flakes. They're lovely, dissolved right in your mouth and blend so well with the caramel and the chocolate layer. I am so loving salt in my chocolates now! Not too much, just a pinch and I felt it brings out the flavour of both the caramel and the chocolates better.

I quarter her recipe and made enough to layer into two of these small glasses perfectly. Below is my version and what I've used, apart from the gelatine and sugar content, everything else is practically the same. But I like how they can be made into small portions so easily. One for lunch and one for dinner, these are my main meals for now. Sugar rush keeps me happy and keeps me full so it's gonna be like that for a while....


Salted Butter Caramel, Vanilla and Chocolate Mousse
(serves 1-2)


For the caramel:
2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tbsp water
1/8 teaspoon Murray River Pink Salt Flakes
1 tbsp thickened cream
1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter

Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to cook until caramel in color. Things happened very quickly here, if it is turning too brown, quickly remove from heat and shock over ice bath. When you see an amber colour of caramel, remove it from the heat and add the salt, heavy cream and butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until completely smooth and let it cool completely to room temperature.

For the chocolate:
30g dark semisweet chocolate (I use Lindt's 85% Cocoa Content)

Melt the chocolates in a microwave or use a Bain-Marie if you like but it's just 30g of chocolates. Cool it to room temperature. It should be flowy when needed.

For the vanilla mousse base:
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste
1tsp gelatine powder, sprinkled over 2 tbsp cold water
1/4 cup thickened cream

In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and the castor sugar until very pale. Scald the milk in a milk pot and acclimatize it with the creamy yolk mixture, whisking vigorously while tempering. P
our the mixture back into the milk pot over medium low heat and cook until the cream coats the back of a spoon and thickened slightly. Constant stirring is required else you'll get scrambled eggs at the bottom of the pot. Turn off the heat and add the softened gelatin paste and whisk until it is completely dissolved into the cream. Cool that to room temperature before use.

While that is happening, whip the heavy cream with the vanilla bean paste to soft peaks and fold it into the cooled cream base. Divide the base into three equal portions. One portion that stays untouched will be your vanilla mousse layer.

To assemble, fold in one part of the base into the cooled caramel and mix until well combined. This is your salted butter caramel mousse layer. Pour that into your serving glasses and freeze for 5mins. Pour the plain base (your vanilla mousse) over the caramel mousse and freeze 5 mins again. Finally, mix the last part of the base with the melted but cooled, flowy chocolate and pour it into the glasses. This is your chocolate mousse layer. Chill overnight, covered with plastic wrap.

Upon serving, give it a light dusting if cocoa powder and a pinch of salt flakes and serve.



Assemble:
Add a couple of tablespoons of the base to the caramel to lighten it a bit and stir with a spoon. Gently fold the rest of the alloted mousse base into the caramel with a spatula.
Do the same for the chocolate portion.
Layer all three parts evenly into dishes or ramekins and refrigerate for an hour.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments on "Salted Butter Caramel, Vanilla and Chocolate Mousse"

Jess @ Bakericious on July 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM said...

Wow Quantas is so sweet, how I wish I can take the flight hee hee hee. The mousse look yummy, next time can adapt for my cake, thanks for sharing.

Anncoo on July 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM said...

WOW! Quinn, this is a very beautiful dessert. Nice job.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) on July 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM said...

Next time if i take Quantas flight, i also want to ask few, hehehe..This mousse look so beutiful and yummy.

Kitchen Corner on July 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM said...

This dessert looks so elegant presented! Very nice!

zurin on July 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM said...

pretty glasses. clever girl! ..alsways ask the cute stewart n youll get whatever you want :)

the mouusse is good cos teh eggs is cooked . i like that and I am so making this...BOOKMARK!!! check.

Shirley @ Kokken69 on July 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM said...

Quinn, your dessert looks beautiful in the glass. I have started to 'Kapok' spoons from hotel rooms for props ;P - very shameful - you are more gracious to ask :)

Passionate About Baking on July 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM said...

Quinn, this is awesome! I can't believe they actually gave you these glasses! Did you make the mousse because of the glasses? I would have done that! Your mousse looks so tempting and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on July 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM said...

*LOL* Qantas was VERY nice to do so ... I wonder why MAS and Delta/Northwest don't ... especially when I was flying back from the States to Malaysia. *LOL* Good PR move! It makes us customers happy, especially for us prop collectors! I recently just bought 6 tumblers from IKEA when I hung out with Wendy, Swee San and Tracie. Still haven't gotten around to make verrines ...

Actually, I've been to try this verrine recipe by Helene. Just haven't gotten around to do so. Hopefully, it ain't gonna take me too long for that ... I LOVE verrine! Yea, we're alike in some ways ... I can have dessert as my main course! That's it! A meal! Haha!

edith on July 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM said...

Quinn, this looks so yummilious. Talking about caramel, it is so hard to find plain caramel in singapore. It is always either with chocolate or something else. :(

Guess I have to make some on my own.

busygran on July 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM said...

Tantalizing dessert! Very nice in the glass, brings out the colours. On my to-do list. But will not be the same - don't have the glasses from cute steward ;p

Honey Bee Sweets on July 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM said...

So sweet of that air hostess to give you these 2 lovely glasses. And great idea to fill them with your lovely tri-flavored mousse! Will try out using salt in my chocolate and caramel next time...good tip! Thanks!

MaryMoh on July 8, 2010 at 5:36 AM said...

Very beautiful dessert! I must also use Qantas next time. I want those lovely glasses too :P

Rosalind on July 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM said...

Hi! Just catching up on reading some blogs I follow :) That dessert looks fantastic.

Jo on July 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

The glasses are really neat and the dessert even better. I totally love the flavours of each layer. Somehow salt and caramel and chocolate work so well together.

petite nyonya on July 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM said...

hey there dearie!! not sure if i had said this before but u make just the most mouth-watering desserts, whether they're adapted from other chefs or not! the name itself is enough to make me want this! yeah i too like these little glass served on airlines. clever of u to ask for them!

Cheah on July 9, 2010 at 1:11 AM said...

The glasses are so cute, so nice of Qantas to give to you FOC. Perfect with your mousse. Must try to ask for some cute glasses the next time I fly, so smart of you!

jami on July 9, 2010 at 2:15 AM said...

This is just beautiful!

(My parents "borrowed" cups from now-defunct Eastern Airlines about 35 years ago, and these were the juice glasses I grew up with. They still have them!)

Quinn on July 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM said...

Thanks guys...

I do actually know that those stuffs on board, you can take them if you want to even without asking. Like Aaron's dad and Aaron himself, they take everything, from pillow to blanket and everything take-able. Maybe it's just me, I don't feel right if I take without asking and if I don't need it, I really won't take it in the first place. I also don't have to worry about risking myself taking things that are not supposed to be taken off the plane.Like I said, they were really good quality heavy glasses so it did make me think twice.

Shirley: Hotel spoons also can kapok??? I need to tell Aaron and he would love to kapok some. Because all this while, he just thought you can kapok things like coffee and tea sachets and toiletries but not spoons!!!

Jane: I saw the glasses and I straightaway thought about the dessert that I have bookmarked for ages. I felt it's just the right time to make and man...they were so fabulous! Try make some and see what I mean!

busygran: Try use champagne glasses. Works the same too!

Rosalind: Thanks.

Petite Nyonya: Yeah...salt, chocolate and caramel sounds weird at first but when you eat them together, they actually work! Amazing isn't it!!!

jami: Yeah I think I will never sell or auction my props, they're money can't buy stuffs that I have collected over time, my soon-to-be antique for display!

pigpigscorner on July 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM said...

Beautiful! I love seeing layers like this. Speaking of air plane stuff, I actually "stole" a MAS pillow =P

Quinn on July 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM said...

@Ann: It's okay, Aaron always kaput the pillows and blanket somemore! He says the pillow is good quality stuff, down feathers and yada yada... We have plenty in my house, no need to feel ashamed...

Anderburf on July 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM said...

This looks so good! I just got some Himalayan pink salt, HimalaSalt, from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I think I'll try it out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on July 21, 2010 at 1:14 AM said...

Ah such a great travel tip! I now need to fly qantas a fair bit for work.... wheee.... =)
This dessert sounds most sinful but looks SO GOOD. Beautifully done quinn!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez