Monday, September 20, 2010

Crepe Suzettes

Posted by Quinn at Monday, September 20, 2010


I know, it's been over a month since I wrote about food and life here...Thank you so much for the wonderful emails, some dropping by just to say hello and some are getting worried and all of you are just very concerned about me. I still could not believe how blogging has made the world a much smaller place and receiving emails from people I have not met asking how am I doing really touched me....Thank you, I am very grateful and felt so appreciated...

The fact is, I have been doing a lot of takeaways and busy with work and a lot more other stuffs, was in denial for a bit, almost going to depression and I was basically living through hell, thriving on nothing but milk and water and enough food to keep me alive.. Significant weight loss and mood swing started and a couple of good friends were there to give support and things were back on track, rather slowly though. Stepping back into the kitchen was something I courageously did a week back and I find it took my minds off so many things, unhappy and things I worry about....They say one should not worry about tomorrow for they have seen yesterday and am happy about today...

Went over to a good friend's place and cook for the family. Cooking with and for the family was a lot of fun but it was a dinner so no pictures but we did came up with some rather impressive dishes. The Entrée to begin with was a seared scallops served on cold watermelon disc and arugula leaves and finished off with a beautiful mint vinaigrette. The main was a homemade squid ink tagliatalle with garlic, prawns, lots of fresh parsley and basil and finished off in a dash of cream. Also made a beautifully layered Ratatouille for the sides flavoured with thyme and a real good homemade tomato base sauce. Blanching and deseeding tonnes of tomatoes could not be very fun but when doing it with many people, I wish time would stop and we could cherish each other's help. Helping each other in my opinion would be the most beautiful thing in the world.

I could not believe I just said I was involved in cooking all that. I was really just sous chef-ing... I did not exactly start cooking until 3 years back. Watching Nan cook and cooking yourself, it is very very different. But I do enjoy good food. Currently, Modern French and a twist of Modern Australian Cuisine would be my favourites...

Aaron is back from Dubai on Friday and is now in Perth. He received a notice from his company saying he will be based in Perth for 12 months. He sent a bouquet of Lilies when he was in Dubai but it could not make up for his absence at all... He bought me 'Eat, Pray, Love' and other practical stuffs such as Iranian Vanilla Beans and Saffron strands but that all could never be compared to him being physically here. The postcard he sent me, I could read it front to back and back to front again and could memorize it word for word but it makes me long for him even more....I do not like long distance relationship and the distance as of now is doing nothing but straining our relationship. More flights in and out of Adelaide-Perth and when reality sink in, it could be very horrible to even go to bed sometimes...

I am a very bubbly and cheerful person by nature, I love being close to people, a simple pat on the shoulder or a rub on the hand could be very comforting. As of now,Quinn would love a lot of free hugs, let it be virtual or not. Going to Perth in the beginning of next year is the plan as of now....Will try to cook more often and blog more often, that would perhaps be the best thing I could do as of now....

I do not want my life to be dependent solely on Aaron. It is really not like that, we are just very very close to each other, that is all. We like being clingy and snuggle up each other and cuddling and me talking away...I do realize when you depend your life on someone else, let it be anyone, not just your partner. When that someone leaves or walk out of your life, you will realize that someone just took away your life with them and you're essentially left with nothing. You feel life is not there anymore because someone took it away.

Right now, life is about work, catching up with friends, cooking a lot of things Aaron would not eat when he was here. He just doesn't do much cheeses (feta, goat's cheese and curd are all yuck!) and dairy products and prawns basically so I tend to cook within his boundaries of favourite food. Now that he is not here, I could cook and eat what I always wanted to, go for musical and operas and enjoy them. Had a couple of nights out doing fine-dining and dressing up to the occasion, that all made me alive again....Life is good....Being back in the kitchen, could not help but make something sweeter, the savoury could come later...

You all do know what is Crepe Suzette don't you? My folks and my family, we all come from a non-English speaking background however we were lucky enough to be given the opportunity to travel halfway across the globe. I first heard of it when I was in France...My parents do not speak much English and I was very young to even understand what was going on around me but I clearly remembered after dinner one night, a very handsome young man, he was the waiter . Anyway, he pushed a trolley cart out next to our table....Then he started arranging beautifully paper thin crepes in concentric circles in a pan, one of those anodized bronze pan with long handle, typical of French. He poured a piping hot sauce over it and in the empty pan, he poured a generous amount of Brandy and Grand Marnier and heat that up and deglaze the pan clean of sauce and pour that over the crepes too. Then he lit them on fire and voila....Flambé was the first term I learnt when I first started off baking......I was very very intrigued and curious....And when I pop them into my mouth, that sauce, it's gotta be made up of orange, both the zest and the juice and caramelised sugar all finished off with a slight hint of liquor....a very beautiful bright orange colour that attracted me so much I remembered the Crepe Suzettes experience up to this day, very vividly in fact!

Everything you see here are made from scratch, from the crepes to the Vanilla Bean Mascarpone quenelle. It is not whipping cream. Went for fine dining last week in an Argentinian Restaurant and they serve Vanilla Bean Mascarpone with a rum flambéd bananas and strawberries caramelized in Muscovado sugar. It was absolutely yum!

And yes, you hear me right, homemade Mascarpone...I just could not find the energy to have a recipe up for each and every single thing I have made as of now...Swee San, remember when we talked about homemade Mascarpone? Did you manage to try out what I taught you?

That is about it I guess...I hope this would calm many people a bit and stop the emails coming in. The inbox is still flooded as of now and I have been copy and pasting the same reply to everyone, sorry people...but it does not show how important or famous I am, it only goes to show how nice people around me are and I am one lucky girl. I also have been missing a lot of postings which I doubt I could catch up with anytime soon, food is something I could never be sick of....For those of you who have linked me back on my recipes and shout-out to me in your post (say Pei-Lin and Ellie) and a lot more, it does not mean I am not giving due credit just because you are not mentioned...Thank you so much, period

I do not have a fix recipe for Crepe Suzettes. It is not hard, google Crepe Suzettes Recipe and be ready to be spoilt with choices.

Good night.
****************************************************************************

P/S: Updated as of 20 Sept 2010 , 10:34am

Some of you ask through email for the recipe for homemade Mascarpone Cheese. I will be posting it just below here since it is requested. One of my housemate is Italian-French. She taught me how to make my own Mascarpone. It is way more delicious from those we bought outside, albeit a little wet but very rich and delicious. You gotta drain it well though then it won't be wet. It is way way cheaper too to make them yourself especially for things that will not cost you much. Do not know what it is priced like elsewhere but here in Adelaide, it cost approximately AUD12 per 250g tub of good, organic luscious Mascarpone and at the rate of me digging my spoon into it and eat it just like that, I would not pay that kind of money for something that is made out of nothing but cream and lemon juice.


Homemade Mascarpone
(makes approximately 2 cups)

4 cups of real good quality whipping cream (not thickened stuff please!)
1/2 a lemon or approximately 2-3 tbsp FRESH lemon juice

Heat the cream in a stainless steel pan until it is hot. When you take a wooden spatula and drop a little on your wrist, it should be almost scalding OR you see lots of steam escaping from the surface of the cream. I do not have the exact temperature. Remove it from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Whisk with the wooden spatula vigorously until it starts to curdles It will curdle and become thick and coat the back of your wooden spatula. You will know it is thick enough when it is like this. The line should stay and not drip down again. Then let it sit for 20-30 minutes, undisturbed until it is not so hot anymore.

Line a large fine sieve (we use a large tea strainer) with layers of clean and sterilized muslin cloth (we use store-bought ones). Drain it overnight just like that. When it is completely cooled, we cover the sieve with a large piece of cloth and place it in the fridge to drain overnight.
The next day, we remove the cheese. It will be unmoulded as one piece and is nicely lifted off the sieve. Stir with a wooden spatula until it is creamy and form a smooth mass again before using. You can use it for tiramisu and use it for savoury dishes too. With 4 cups of whipping cream, it would yield approximately 470-500g of Mascarpone cheese. And did I mention, it kept so well it in the fridge in an air tight container. Lasted for 2 weeks for me, no mold growth , no problem!

For the Vanilla Mascarpone shown here, I mixed in 2 tsp icing sugar with 1/2 a vanilla bean seeds, scraped from the pod and mix it with 1 cup of Mascarpone cheese. Mix it well and chill it in the fridge in an air-tight container until needed. The remaining Mascarpone was use to make a walnut Mascarpone sauce for a gnocchi dish.


Have fun making your own Mascarpone...


Cheers,
Quinn

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments on "Crepe Suzettes"

Su-yin on September 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM said...

I know where you're coming from - I for one have great respect for people who manage to successfully have long distance relationships, mainly because I know I would be rubbish at it. I enjoy the intimacy of a relationship, and to me, it's not something that I can achieve if the other person is not physically there.

Hang in there, and I hope things will get easier for you two. x

Jess @ Bakericious on September 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM said...

Quinn, glad you are back! I am not good in talking so millions of hugz from me.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker on September 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM said...

Hooray you're back! I'm excited. And now feeling like a good crepe too...

Sorry things have been so hard... My husband and I did our fair share of long-D so I know it's no fun. Maybe a good time to take lots of enrichment classes and do things you love, now that you have some extra time?

busygran on September 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM said...

It's great to hear from you again! I know how you feel without your soulmate. Lots of hugs from me too!
Thanks for the mascarpone cheese recipe.

edith on September 21, 2010 at 2:14 AM said...

I was already wondering .. but i thought it must be work.

Hang in there. Long distance has never been easy. Keep yourself occupied. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Think positive. Then at least time is easier to pass.

Take care.

Swee San on September 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM said...

Quinn, I sure do remember. I still have the email. I haven't go about making it yet. But will do.. soon :) Glad to hear u're doing better :D

ICook4Fun on September 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM said...

Hope everything is well with you Quinn. I know how you feel being so far away from Aaron. I've been there too once. You take care ok.

Shirley @ Kokken69 on September 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

Hey Quinn, you are back! I thought Peilin mentioned that you've gone to see Aaron.. That's why you've 'disappeared' - looks like I remembered wrongly. You are at an age when you should be easy going! You've been so blessed so what are you doing teetering on the edge of depression?! Long distance is not without difficulties- it requires a lot of trust and maturity. If you are not ready to do this, then indeed moving to Perth would be good for you- Perth is nice- very laid back.

noobcook on September 21, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

hey Quinn, sorry to hear you have been through a rough patch. Cooking is always therapeutic for me so cook more yeah ;) Look on the bright side, at least he's now much nearer to you now that he's in Perth and not Dubai. and yes, make more cheesy dishes and go to more musicals for now hehe I'm sure things will pick up from here *hug* :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on September 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM said...

Quinn, sorry for such late of a response from me.

I'm glad you're starting to get back on track. Feeling depressed isn't fun, which I can identify with as I went thru one myself during my first 6 months away from home. (Need not be just about romantic relationships.)

Remedying yourself in the kitchen isn't the matter now. Most importantly, it's that life is starting to make sense again. Just do as you please, be it going for a movie/musical/concert, shopping, or chattering away with friends. Make sure that you're happy! That's all I'm asking, K?

And, I know LDRs pose challenges. Agree with Shirley, LDRs take lots of trust, communication, faith. Goals and definitions of various subjects are so crucial ... Like I said, I know that you and Aaron are meant for each other. I'm sure things will work their out. I have faith in you two. =)

Remember the promise you made long ago. I'll be your "sister" one day ... when the bell rings.

Take care,
Pei-Lin

Honey Bee Sweets on September 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM said...

Quinn, I am so happy that you came through this rough time and started doing what you love again. Indeed you need to keep yourself occupied and try not to miss Aaron too much. I went through 3 yrs of LDR too with my husband before we were married, that really put our relationship to the test! But at the end of it all you will know that it is meant to be although it's not as easy. Hang in there, we ( your blog friends) will always be here for you through and through. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you girl. :)

petite nyonya on September 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM said...

ggood to see you're back and made such lovely dessert! ups and dowsn are unavoidable in life. there will be times of joy and depression. don't be too hard on yrself, just shape up your mental awareness that life does suck at times and it's natural and we've just gotta manage it one day at a time. u'll be fine, i'm sure :). take care!

babe_kl on September 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM said...

Glad you're back, phewww

pigpigscorner on September 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM said...

Welcome back! I for one cannot do long distance relationships. I've been away from my hubs for a mere 3 weeks and it felt like 3 years. Glad I've finished whatever I had to do and am back. Hang in there babe!

Elin on October 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM said...

Hi Quinn,
Good to see you back on track and back to cooking. It is normal to miss someone you love :) I miss my kids..the emptiness is just the same like you miss Aaron. Even though Daddy and I have each other but the emptiness is still there becoz the kids were part of us. The depression sets in just like what u went through but time flies and in no time my kids will be back and your Aaron will be back with you soon.

Don't worry about long distance relationship...take it one day at a time and this is testing time for the both of you. Meanwhile go out and have fun with friends and have fun baking too :)

Take care and eat well and stay healthy too. Hope to meet up with you again when you are back for CNY !

love,
Elin

Zoe on October 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM said...

Hi Quinn, Hope that you are always good in health. Good that you are back for your cooking.

Torviewtoronto on October 14, 2010 at 2:11 AM said...

first time here lovely site

visit me sometimes
http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez